This website will present discussions on a subset of the total scope that the broad term Consciousness implies. Specifically, the discussions will be targeted to Conscious Sensory Experience and to Conscious Volition. The following two discussions serve to provide a point of view for understanding the main topic which is discussed in The Inter Mind Model section. The Inter Mind Model section sets up a Connection type of structure for Consciousness and the two Arguments sections after that provide evidence for the Conscious Mind and the Inter Mind respectively. There then follows a number of discussions that explore aspects of how the Inter Mind Model can be applied in various different situations. A Connection Perspective will be emphasized and it will be shown how adopting such a Perspective can make many seemingly difficult problems easier to conceptualize. For people just beginning to think about Consciousness, the realizations about the Human perception of Light and Sound can be particularly surprising. One thing for sure: You will never look at Light or listen to Sound the same way again.
To properly understand the Inter Mind Model the discussions should be read in the order they are presented. Each discussion aims to bring to the table new realizations that will aide the overall comprehension of the Inter Mind Model concept.
The Big Bang happens and a new Universe is created. This Universe consists of Matter, Energy, and Space. After billions of years of complicated interactions and processes the Matter, Energy, and Space produce a planet with Conscious Life Forms (CLFs). In the course of their evolution the CLFs will need to See each other in order to live and interact with each other. But what does it really mean to See? A CLF is first of all a Physical Thing. There is no magic power that just lets a CLF See another CLF. A CLF can only Detect another CLF through some sensing mechanism which must be made out of Physical material and which uses Physical processes. There never is any kind of Seeing in the sense that we think we understand it. There is always only Detection.
So a CLF might understand that it does not ever really See another CLF, but it will still insist that it Sees the reflected Light. The CLF would be mistaken if it thinks it Sees even the reflected Light. All it can do is Detect the reflected Light. Its sensing mechanism can only produce Physical reactions, like Neural Activity, that are correlated with the reflected Light. If the reflected Light is Red the sensing mechanism will fire Neurons that only fire for Red inputs. The CLF might be able to sense that the Red Neurons are firing. So every time these Neurons fire it can report that it is seeing Red. This CLF is only sensing particular Neurons firing and is not experiencing Red like we do.
A CLF like us Sees Red as a Conscious experience and is not aware of any Neural Activity. This Conscious Red Experience (the Experience of Redness) is how we Detect Red Light from the external Physical World. Unfortunately the experience of Redness, at least for now, can not be found in the Brain or explained by Brain Activity. Further investigation shows the Experience of Redness cannot be found in any kind of Matter, Energy, or Space so we must conclude that it is something different than any of these things. Redness is in a whole different Category of Phenomena than any known and existent Scientific Category of Phenomena. Let us qualify the Space we know and call it Physical Space and then introduce a new Conscious Space as the place where our Conscious experiences like Redness occur.
Conscious Space might eventually be found to be a component of ordinary Physical Space, but until Science figures out how to deal with Consciousness we should think about Conscious Space as simply a Tool that allows Conscious Phenomena to have a place to exist for the sake of discussion. Conscious Space might seem like a strange thing right now but someday it could be an integral part of our Scientific understanding. The Conscious Space concept will be developed throughout the Inter Mind paper and in the following topics.
Since we have proposed this Conscious Space it is only natural to wonder if there is a corresponding Conscious Matter and a Conscious Energy. Maybe Red is a type of Conscious Matter, and maybe Volition is a type of Conscious Energy. But these analogies are just speculations because whatever Conscious Space might be, it is probably not going to be like any kind of Physical Space.
It is instructive to start talking about the perception of Light by concentrating on a particular type of Light, namely Red Light, as in the above paragraphs. But it should be understood that the two dimensional Conscious Visual Scene that we experience is made out of all the possible Colors of Light depending on what we are looking at. So in the following sections when I use the term Light I am referring to that Conscious Visual Scene with all the Colors. I have found that some people try to imagine that someone is waving a flashlight in front of them when I talk about seeing Light, or especially later in the arguments section when I talk about Dream Light. But everything you see in any particular area of the Conscious Visual Scene is some Color of Light. Of course Black is the absence of any Light in an area of the Scene. Although Black is the absence of any Color it is still a Conscious Experience.
Scientists can describe the Neural Activity that occurs in the Brain when we See. But they seem to be completely puzzled by the Conscious Visual experience that we have that is correlated with the Neural Activity. Incredibly, some even come to the conclusion that the Conscious experience is not even necessary! They can not find the Conscious experience in the Neurons so the experience must not have any function in the Visual process. They believe that the Neural Activity is sufficient for us to move around in the world without bumping into things. This is insane denial of the obvious purpose for Visual Consciousness. The Conscious Visual experience is the thing that allows us to move around in the world. Neural Activity is not enough. We would be blind without the Conscious Visual experience. The Conscious Visual experience contains vast amounts of information about the external world all packed up into a single thing.
Scientists should not disregard the Conscious Visual experience. It's just another type of Data that can be analyzed. We should call it Conscious Data. We use and analyze this Conscious Visual Data all the time without realizing it. For example when I reach for my coffee mug I have a Conscious Visual experience where I See my hand moving toward the coffee mug. If My hand is off track I sense this in the Conscious Visual experience and adjust the movement of my hand. If I did not have the Conscious Visual experience I would not be able to pick up my coffee mug, or at least it would be much more difficult with just Neural Activity. So the Conscious Visual experience is just Data that helps us interact with the world. This Conscious Visual Data is absolutely necessary for us to function. Similar arguments can be made for the Conscious Auditory experience, the Conscious Smell experience, the Conscious Taste experience, and the Conscious Touch experience. All these experiences are just a type of Data that our Conscious Minds can analyze.
The Conscious Mind concept, which will be developed in the Inter Mind paper, can be viewed as a kind of Conscious Processor that takes the Conscious Light, Sound, Smell, Taste, and Touch Experiences as Input Data to help it survive in the world. This is a very strange kind of Processing (although actually very familiar) and it is very different from the Processing that Computers can do. The Processing that the Conscious Mind does is also very different than the Neural Processing that the Brain does. Let's talk about the Color Red. In the Physical World we know that Red Light is an oscillating Electromagnetic phenomenon with a particular wavelength associated with it. In the Brain Red is the coordinated Firing of groups of specific Neurons. In the Conscious Mind Red is an Experience. In Computers Red is usually represented as the hex number 00FF0000 stored in a memory location. Electromagnetic Phenomena, Firing Neurons, the Red Experience, and the Number 00FF0000 are completely different kinds of Data.
The Conscious Input Data must be derived from Neural Activity in the Physical Mind (Brain) so we should conclude that the Conscious Mind is Connected to the Physical Mind in some way. The nature of this Connection will be developed in the sections below. Note that there is no Artificial Intelligence program or Electronics today that can make this kind of Connection.
This paper will present an alternative perspective for thinking about how Consciousness might occur in the Mind. Consciousness has many aspects that could be used as discussion tools, but for this paper the Conscious perception of Light and Sound will be emphasized. Light and Sound perception seem to be things that could be understood using basic scientific and engineering reasoning.
The prevailing Philosophical and Scientific view that Consciousness is just an illusion seems to me to be totally unscientific. When they say that Consciousness is just an Illusion they are saying that Consciousness does not really exist. Have they ever actually seen Light or heard Sound? Many Philosophers at least admit that they do not know. They have produced such concepts as the Explanatory Gap by Joseph Levine in Materialism and Qualia, the Hard Problem and the Easy Problem by David Chalmers in The Conscious Mind, and the concept of sensory Qualia by Clarence Irving Lewis in Mind and the World Order.
The state of the art in Brain Physiology these days can describe how electromagnetic waves (Physical Light) hitting the Retina cause signals to be generated in Nerve paths that travel from the Eye through the Brain and to the Visual Cortex in back of the head. A vast amount of parallel processing occurs and specific areas of the Visual Cortex will fire for various different aspects of the Light scene that is being viewed. Some Neurons will fire for straight lines, some Neurons will fire for various specific Colors, some Neurons will fire for image motion, and other Neurons will fire for any number of other specific aspects of the Light scene. These are the Neural Correlates of Consciousness for Light perception as described by Christof Koch in The Quest for Consciousness.
The problem is that the Brain is an electro-chemical machine and nowhere during all the processing that goes on can you find the actual Conscious perception of Light. I like to say that when you have a Conscious perception of Light that you are seeing Conscious Light. I also want to emphasize the distinction between Physical Light (PL) and Conscious Light (CL). The PL is electromagnetic waves which are always black and colorless, but it is the CL that we actually perceive and see. The CL is a surrogate for the PL.
This distinction between PL and CL must be understood completely and fully. We can even say that before Consciousness there was no Light on the Planet, just electromagnetic waves. This distinction should seem obvious to people but I have found that many people just donít get it. This paper will attempt to make this distinction more plausible and understandable.†
Philosophers like to call CL the Light Qualia. My spell checker does not even know the word Qualia. I like the symmetry and intuitiveness of saying PL and CL. I also like to say that PL exists in Physical Space (PSp) and CL exists in Conscious Space (CSp). We can also talk about Physical Sound (PS) which consists of pressure waves in the air and Conscious Sound (CS) which is the Sound that we experience in CSp.
The Light or Sound that we have always experienced is CL or CS not PL or PS. PL or PS exists in PSp and CL or CS exists in CSp. In talking about CSp it is assumed that it is not a space like our physical three dimensional Universe but it is certainly a different realm or reality. I decided that saying Conscious Realm was too spooky and maybe misleading so Iím going to stick with CSp. CSp may ultimately be recognized to be an aspect of PSp but at this point it is better to keep it distinct. I think that eventually, CSp will be recognized as a completely different thing than we can imagine today.
I would like to refer to the Brain as the Physical Mind (PM). I would also like to refer to the Thing that experiences the CL or CS as the Conscious Mind (CM). The CM contains your personal Conscious ďIĒ or "Self". Using these definitions and abbreviations, I would like to present the following diagram to show what we know so far about the Conscious perception of Light.
The PM is defined to consist of the Brain and all connected sensory devices, like Eyes and Ears. The Retina of the Eye is acknowledged to be made up of specialized Neurons, so it is an actual component of the PM. Itís easy to see why the PL arrow is connected directly to the PM.
The instant PL hits the PM it is not PL anymore, but rather it is converted into Neural Activity that is transmitted to the various Visual areas inside the PM. Since the Neural Activity occurs in the Visual areas of the PM and the Neural Activity is correlated with the PL, I like to call this particular Neural Activity, Neural Light (NL). The diagram shows that even though the NL is correlated with the PL it is not CL yet. The CL that we actually perceive is correlated with the NL and therefore with the PL. The heart of the problem is that CL cannot be found in the PM by studying the NL. We are sure we know two things: 1) when NL occurs in the PM 2) there is correlated CL occurring in the CM. Both of these are also correlated with the original PL. There is an analogous argument for PS, Neural Sound (NS), and CS.
I would like to make a quick comment about my definition of Neural Light. The complaint that people have had was that Neural Activity is not Light. Of course it's not PL, but the NL that I talk about is actually more related to the CL that we experience. What we experience is a further processing stage that uses the NL to produce the CL. We have never Seen the PL. We have only Seen the CL. The CL is correlated with the NL which in turn is correlated with the PL. The PL is just some electro-magnetic phenomenon that can stimulate NL. If you rub your eye the right way you will see lights. Rubbing your eye can stimulate NL which results in a CL experience.
Now think about the CL experience you have while dreaming at night in your bedroom where there is almost no PL. You could say that Dreams are made out of CL. If it's not CL then what is it? The one thing we can say for sure is that this Dream Light is certainly inside of us.
Also think about the CL experience of After Images, where you continue to see a remnant of the scene you were looking at even after you close your eyes. Obviously we can and do experience CL without PL. We have always seen our own CL but we did not know it was ours. This should become more understandable after reading the two Arguments sections.
I take the position that the PM is an electro-chemical machine that exists in PSp. I will speculate that the PM has no consciousness in and of itself. I will also speculate that the CM exists in a separate reality and I say that the CM exists in CSp. I justify these speculations given the fact that Science is getting nowhere assuming that Consciousness has to be inside the Neurons.
But how does the NL in the PM get converted to CL that the CM can use? Somehow the CM must monitor the NL in the PM and then generate the CL for the CM. I propose that there must be some other Mind component that monitors the NL in the PM and converts this into the CL that the CM experiences. I call this other Mind the Inter Mind (IM), because it is an interface between the PM and the CM. From these definitions we can now draw the following diagram for the Conscious perception of light.
This diagram is for the Light path and it compresses many complicated things into a simple Triplistic or Triple Mind model that is easily remembered and conceptualized. I like to call it the Inter Mind Model (IMM) to emphasize the central role that the IM plays. Forget about Dualism this is Triplism. Note that I am not saying the diagram explains anything we did not already know. In fact, I think the IM is but yet another thing that we do not know. It is probably counterintuitive but I think the introduction of this new unknown might actually help us understand the other unknowns in the whole Mind problem. We need to at least know what it is that we don't know. I believe the IMM will provide a solid Framework for the next step in the exploration of Consciousness.
The IM could be a part of the PM or the CM or it could stand alone as a separate Mind. Whatever the case may be there must be something somewhere that has the functionality of the IM. if the IM is found to be an aspect of the PM then that aspect should be called the IM aspect of the PM. NL does not turn into CL all by itself. Even if everything is eventually found to be located in the PM, the functional stages of the diagram must still be true. Maybe Dark Matter or Dark Energy, which might be related to the highly hypothetical phenomenon of Quantum Fluctuations, will eventually be shown to have something to do with Consciousness and the Inter Mind. We just don't know yet so all options must be left on the table.
Philosophers will say the IM is just the Explanatory Gap. I would say that the IM is more specifically a Connection Gap and a Processing Gap rather than a more general Explanatory Gap. Evidence for these Connection Gap and Processing Gap ideas will be presented later.
According to the IMM: PL is converted into NL by the PM in PSp, and then NL is converted into CL by the IM, and then CL is what is actually perceived by the CM in CSp. But the PL, NL, and CL are three very different kinds of phenomena related to the experience of Light. The PL is Electro-Magnetic Energy, the NL is Neural Activity in the Visual areas, and the CL is the Thing that we actually perceive.
This means that we all have our own Personal CL that we use to guide us while moving around in the world. I have my own CL and every other person on the planet has their own CL. No one sees PL but only their own Personal CL. I have my Light, you have your Light, we all have our own Light. We don't really See in the way we think we do, rather we examine our CL to determine what we are looking at. So instead of asking the question: "What do you see?", we should ask: "What does your CL show you?".
Note that the IMM shows that the IM presents the CL to the CM but the process of how this happens is not known. The CL is not PL so we should not expect that the CM will need some CSp Retina to perceive it leading to an infinite regression of other forms of Light and other forms of Retinas. The CM is the end point of the perception chain even if we do not understand how the CL is experienced by the CM.
The IMM is Neutral with regard to what the IM and the CM actually are, but for the sake of argument I will take the position that we have never seen any actual object that exists in PSp. We do not "See" but rather we "Detect" objects. We might think we see the PL reflected from objects even if we do not see the objects themselves. But it's even worse than that because we don't really see the PL either. The Light that we have always seen is CL not PL. We Detect the PL using CL as a Surrogate. We have never seen PL only the CL that is correlated with the PL. The PL originates in PSp causing correlated NL in the PM which is also in PSp, but the CL is perceived by the CM in CSp. We can say that the PM exists and lives in PSp and the CM exists and lives in CSp. We can also say that the CL is a kind of Data that the CM processor uses to view the World and to move around in that World. These things should become more understandable after reading the two Arguments sections.
We cannot even begin to talk about the Inter Mind (IM) if we do not at least recognize the existence of a Conscious Mind (CM) separate from the Physical Mind (PM). We do not have to understand exactly what the CM is, but we must at least suspect that it is something. I am not going to get into any of the Philosophical intricacies of the whole Body Mind problem in this paper. I am just going to call it as I see it and present some arguments that point to the existence of a separate CM.
1) The first argument is based on an engineering analysis approach where we trace the path of Light perception. The first thing that happens is that Physical Light (PL) enters the Eye and is focused onto the Retina. The instant the PL hits the Retina it activates the Rods and Cones. Various wavelengths of PL will preferentially activate various different Rods and Cones. The PL is absorbed by the Rods and Cones and the PL is no longer PL. What is left is an avalanche of chemical reactions that eventually fires a Neuron that sends a signal away from the Retina and to the Visual Areas (VAs) of the Cerebral Cortex, and this happens for millions of Neurons at the same time and these signals are all bundled into the Optic Nerve. Itís a long journey from the Retina through the Lateral Geniculate Nucleus (LGN) of the Thalamus and to the Visual Areas which are located in the back of the head. One of the known functions of the LGN is to block Visual information from the Eye during sleep. During this whole trip from Eye to the VAs we are not dealing with PL anymore but rather this is of course Neural Light (NL). The NL signals eventually arrive at the first Visual Area (V1) get processed and are then sent to the second Visual Area (V2) and on to other Visual Areas V3, V4, V5, and more. All the areas also send signals back to previous Areas to create a giant mish mash of parallel processing that is difficult to completely quantify. All the processing and feedback is also NL since it is correlated with the PL. But the PL is long gone, all you have is NL. So all we can really say is that we experience NL not PL. But the NL as described is not Conscious Light (CL). Itís just Neural Activity. Where is the experience of CL? We know when this NL happens that CL happens. But the CL cannot be found in the Brain. Ok, itís not found YET, and maybe someday it will be found in the Brain. But for now we cannot find it in the Brain. We can only speculate that it is in some other realm or dimension or space. I say CL is in Conscious Space (CSp). We can then speculate that there must be a Conscious Mind (CM) that exists in CSp that is experiencing the CL. A similar argument can be made if we trace the path of Physical Sound (PS to Neural Sound (NS) and then to Conscious Sound (CS).
2) In this argument I will further develop the idea that Conscious Light (CL) and Conscious Sound (CS) are actually different Things than Physical Light (PL) and Physical Sound (PS). They are Conscious Things that exist in the Conscious Mind (CM) which is in Conscious Space (CSp). Some writers like to use the word Substance instead of Thing. I think the word Substance has misleading implications so Ill stay with the more ambiguous Thing word. First of all PL is an electromagnetic wave Thing that consists of electric and magnetic fields oscillating at various frequencies. One frequency might give you a Red experience and another frequency might give you a Green experience. Letís talk about Red. Red PL has a certain frequency and Red CL has a certain color experience. Nowhere in the experience of Red do you experience any kind of frequency oscillation. Rather, Red seems to be a steady non oscillating other kind of Thing than the electromagnetic Thing. Itís a Conscious Thing that exists in the CM. When we consider all the colors we can say that the CM experiences a Scene of Light painted with all the different possible color Things. Our perceptual situation is similar to how NASA creates pictures of the universe with different ďfalse colorsĒ superimposed on the images to show for example where the hydrogen and the oxygen is located. Philosophical Objectivists say, with regard to our perception of color, that ďAll Colors Are False ColorsĒ. PL is black and colorless in and of itself. Somewhere in the Physical Mind (PM), Inter Mind (IM), CM chain the color is added. Similar arguments could be made for the oscillatory Physical Sound (PS) Thing and the Conscious Sound (CS) Tone Thing. People are so familiar with their own personal CL and CS that they think they are PL and PS. The Light and the Sound that you have always seen and heard are not PL and PS but CL and CS. The fact that the CL and CS are correlated with the PL and PS enables the misconception.
3) This argument is similar to argument 2 but uses slightly different logic. Things in Physical Space (PSp) can be described and communicated from one Mind to another Mind. Many things in Conscious Space (CSp) cannot be described or communicated from one Mind to another Mind. Try describing Red to someone. Red can only be experienced in the Conscious Mind (CM) which is in CSp. This probably means that Red does not even exist in PSp but only in CSp which argues for a CM to experience the Red.
4) This argument involves our perception of Light and Sound in our Dreams. Where does all that Dream Light (DL) and Dream Sound (DS) come from? It canít be Physical Light (PL) and Physical Sound (PS). Itís completely dark and silent in your bedroom at night. DL and DS are probably activated by Neural Light (NL) and Neural Sound (NS) but the experience still must be Conscious Light (CL) and Conscious Sound (CS). So we must conclude that DL and DS are CL and CS. Dream Consciousness is an Uncontrolled Hallucination in the sense that what you experience is not correlated with anything happening in the outside world. According to Max Clowes Awake Consciousness is a Controlled Hallucination since the experience is correlated with things happening in the outside world. Note that Iím not talking about trying to control your Dreams here. Iím saying that actual Awake Consciousness and Dream Consciousness seem to use the same Hallucination mechanism to present a reality to the Conscious Mind (CM). Experiences of CL and CS during Awake Consciousness in the CM are correlated with NL and NS activity in the Physical Mind (PM) and the NL and NS are correlated with PL and PS in the outside world. Experiences of CL and CS during Dream Consciousness are also in the CM and are correlated to some NL and NS activity in the PM, but there are no correlations to anything in the outside world.
5) This argument involves Evolution and the Conscious experience of Pain. I think Evolution could be heavily guided by Conscious Mind (CM) sensations. Pain will make an Organism or Animal do almost anything to get rid of it. Animal Evolution might not even work without Pain. Pain is central to our existence today. Pain is perfectly bad. We (every organism on the planet) hate Pain. The misconception that people have is that the firing of Neurons is the Pain. But this is only Neural Pain and is not Conscious Pain. A Neuron is an electro chemical thing. Letís hook a battery through a switch to a light bulb. You could instruct that whenever the switch is closed and the light is on that this represents Pain. It is analogous to a Neuron firing. You see the light come on and react because you know that's what you are supposed to do. But how long will this last. You will get bored. The fact the light comes on provides no real motivation to act. We need a CM to feel Pain when the light comes on. The Pain provides the motivation to survive. You will never get bored. It will always work. There were probably many other types of CM experiences that guided Evolution, but Pain was probably one of the first that developed. So we need a separate CM concept even for Evolution to work. I think it is possible that the real purpose for Evolution is related to development of the CM. The CM could be the driving force behind Evolution providing Motivation in the form of the Desire to avoid Bad Experiences and to seek out Good Experiences. This will have the incidental effect of increasing Survival Rates and thus guiding Evolutionary Outcomes.
6) This argument is based on the lack of Scientific progress with regard to understanding Consciousness. Just the fact that Science has so much trouble with Consciousness should indicate that Consciousness is a separate thing apart from the Physical World. Science deals with Physical World phenomena. I think if Consciousness was part of the Physical World, Science would have had lots of things to say about it by now. The absolute Zero amount of understanding that Science has accumulated about Consciousness should indicate that Consciousness is probably not a Physical World phenomenon or is at least some new category of Phenomenon. So I think that it is pretty clear that there are Physical World phenomena and Conscious World phenomena. They seem to be separate things.
The Inter Mind (IM) is a natural conclusion when you understand the existence of the Conscious Mind (CM). As with the CM we do not have to understand exactly what the IM is, but we must at least suspect that it is something. Again, I am just going to call it as I see it and present some arguments that point to the existence of the IM.
1) The first argument is based on an analysis of what the Visual Areas of the Brain are actually doing. It does not appear that the Visual Areas are processing the Light information with the goal of creating the integrated Conscious Light (CL) Scene that we experience. Rather the Brain seems to deconstruct the image with the goal of detecting elementary properties of the image like lines, edges, motion, and color. There do not seem to be any downstream Visual Areas that are involved with reconstructing the CL Scene that we experience from all the deconstructed properties that the Brain detects. The only place where there is a good undistorted image is on the Retina of the Eye. The other various stages of processing are highly warped and distorted maps of the retina. The highest stages don't really even map at all. The highest stages seem to be involved in image recognition and the lower stages seem to be for mechanical control of focus and eye convergence. But we find that there are artifacts from the downstream processing stages that become visible in our CL Scene. For example there are some edge enhancement and shading effects that are generated in V1 that can be experienced in the CL Scene. Also if there is a damaged area in V1 then an equivalent blacked out area will appear in the CL Scene. Similarly if there is damage to the Color areas then the Color experience will be impaired or completely missing. So it seems that whatever is creating the CL Scene must use and be in contact with all the processing stages at the same time. The actual CL Scene is a kind of overlay of all the areas. It seems that the data available at these processing stages are hints as to what the CL Scene should look like. This data must be the input to the Conscious Mind (CM). It seems that there is a lot of processing that has to take place to reintegrate all the Visual Area processing results into the seemingly perfect CL Scene that we experience. There is a Processing Gap. We could just say that the CM monitors the Physical Mind (PM) Visual Areas and creates this Scene itself. I think it is more instructive to propose that there must be a whole new aspect of the Mind that consists of further processing stages that monitor the PM and generate the CL Scene that the CM perceives. This of course is the Inter Mind (IM). It should also be mentioned that this process of combining the processing results of the various areas of the Visual system to create the single CL Scene is called Binding. The fact that no one knows how this is accomplished is called the Binding Problem. I think that the Binding processing might eventually be found to be located in the Inter Mind.
2) This argument involves a particularly mind boggling aspect of Visual processing in the Brain. See the Flattened Retina figure below for the right side Eye.
The Eye is vertically split through the center of the Fovea. The Fovea is the area where the fine detail of the Scene exists. Note that there is more area on the nasal side than on the temporal side. The Left Visual Field (all rods and cones to the left of the dotted line) is processed by V1 on the right side of the Brain and the Right Visual Field (all rods and cones to the right of the dotted line) is processed by a different V1 on the left side of the Brain. If you close your left eye and just look through your right eye, the Conscious Light (CL) Image that you experience is split in half for processing but you never see a line. How does it get spliced back together in the final CL Scene that we perceive? The Retina is the only place where the Scene halves are still connected together. There seems to be no downstream processing stage that even attempts to connect the Scene halves back together. There is a Processing Gap. Something else must be at work here and I think it calls for further processing beyond what we can find in the Brain at this time. It seems that there must be some sort of Inter Mind (IM) that has this processing capability.
3) This argument is about the 3D effect in the Conscious Light (CL) Scene. With both Eyes open the input to a V1 Area will be an overlay of the equivalent Scene regions from the left Eye and the right Eye. Because of the difference in location of the Eyes the two overlaid Scenes will be slightly displaced. It is easy to imagine that this displacement of the Scenes could be exploited by some further processing to create the awesome CL 3D Scene that we experience. There is of course further processing, but there seems to be no kind of processing that would account for the 3D look of things in the CL Scene. There is a Processing Gap. Something must monitor the V1 displacements as well as any further processing and then create the CL Scene in such a way that it has a 3D effect. The Conscious Mind (CM) could do this processing or maybe the processing will be found in the Physical Mind (PM) some day. †I believe itís better to propose that some Inter Mind (IM) performs the actual processing.
4) This argument involves the motion detection Areas of the Brain. We think that motion is such a completely natural thing in our reality, but you will not experience motion properly if your Motion Areas are damaged. People with extensively damaged motion Areas experience snap shot Conscious Light (CL) Scenes that are spaced in time by seconds or even longer. Itís got to be a scary world. With less extensive damage the effect is that motion seems to have a trailing persistence effect meaning that the snap shots are just faster than in the more damaged case. From an engineering point of view it looks like the Brain is implementing some kind of Video Compression scheme. It looks like if there is no motion detected then the CL Scene doesn't need to update which would save processing time. Something is monitoring the motion Areas and only generating update CL Scenes if there is motion. If there is no motion nothing needs to be updated. There is a Processing Gap. I believe there is further processing going on here and it must be some kind of Inter Mind (IM) that is doing it.
5) This argument involves color mixing. Why do the colors mix to form other colors the way they do? The most curious thing is how does White result from the combination of Red, Green, and, Blue? White seems like something very different than those primaries. Who would even say that they see the Red component in White? The sensation is that White isn't even a color. Why is Red part of white? All that the Eye part of the Physical Mind (PM) does is fire some Red cones, Green cones, and Blue cones, and then we see White. How does this happen? What sequence of further Neural Activity could possibly produce an experience of White? This is an obvious Processing Gap, and I think that the processing for this is not something we can even hypothesize about using Physical Space (PSp) knowledge. It is a different domain or kind of processing that we donít know about yet. Whatever it is and wherever it is, letís just say itís the Inter Mind (IM) that does this processing.
6) This argument involves Conscious Attention (CA). This is the aspect of Consciousness where we can pay attention to, for example, the Conscious Light (CL) Scene and not the Conscious Sound (CS). Even within the CL Scene it is possible to move CA to different parts of the Scene even while the eyes remain fixed to a certain location point in the field of view. Your CA can be switched from CL to CS and you can pay attention to individual CS streams such as a single conversation in a crowd. Since Neural Light (NL) and Neural Sound (NS) are active in different parts of the Physical Mind (PM) this suggests that the Inter Mind (IM) moves around to different physical locations in the PM. You can focus so much CA on the CS that you almost seem to not see the CL at moments. You can focus so much CA on the CL that You almost don't hear the CS at times. Whatever the mechanism is for CA, it sure does seem like there must be some kind of IM that can observe various locations of the Cortex to the exclusion of other locations.
7) This argument involves a strange condition called Functional Blindness where no Neurological deficits can be found in the Physical Mind (PM) but nevertheless patients report that they are Blind. The cause of this is a medical mystery but seems to be related to certain types of Psychological problems like depression. No Physiological explanation can be found no matter what type of test is conducted. The Neurons are Firing but the patient is still Blind. It seems almost obvious that the Inter Mind (IM) must be involved. The Neural Firing in the PM was not being interpreted and transmitted to the Conscious Mind (CM) by the IM for whatever reason. An obvious symptom of an IM problem and thus evidence of the existence of an IM.
8) This argument involves how we access our Memories. It has been shown that Memories are stored in the Neurons as chemical changes in the synapses. These chemical changes will enable the Neurons to fire differently. But it is not understood how an actual Memory could possibly be just some chemical change. These chemical changes are really just the Neural Correlates of Memories. It is unknown how these chemical changes affect the Neural Activity to produce the Conscious Experience of a Memory. It is obvious that some kind of Inter Mind (IM) will be necessary to take the chemically changed Neural Activity as input and produce the Conscious Experience of an actual Memory as an output which is then input to the Conscious Mind. The implication here is that the actual Memory is not located in Neural chemical changes but rather the Neural chemical changes produce Neural Activity that activates the Memory that is stored in the IM as a Conscious Experience.
The Scientific and Physicalist view is that Consciousness is somehow located in the Neurons. It is a reasonable assumption given that Conscious Activity is Correlated with Neural Activity. But Science has no Theory, Hypothesis, or even a Speculation about how Consciousness could be in the Neurons. Science has not been able to show for example, how something like the Experience of Redness is some kind of effect of Neural Activity. In fact, the more you think about the Redness Experience and then think about Neural Activity, the less likely it seems that the Redness Experience is actually some sort of Neural Activity. Science has tried in vain for a hundred years to figure this out. If the Experience of Redness actually was in the Neurons, Science would have had a lot to say about it by now. Something has got to be wrong with their perspective on the problem.
It is time for Science to think more outside the Box with regard to Consciousness, and hopefully this Connection Perspective will inspire Research in new directions that might someday solve the Problem of Consciousness.
Maybe an Inter Mind (IM), along with a Conscious Mind (CM), inhabits and uses a Physical Mind (PM) from conception. The IM and CM grow as a particular PM grows. First there is only one cell, then there are two, then three, and four, and so on until a fully formed PM, IM, and CM are produced. An IM has decades to figure out how to use a PM to convert the Neural Activity into Conscious Activity. It actually figures it out pretty good after a few years. Could an IM attach to a fully formed PM and just start using it? Or does an IM need to grow as a PM grows in order to properly use it? There is probably a developmental aspect involved in PM, IM, and CM connections. The act of growing from a single cell might be absolutely necessary for an IM and CM to exist. The IM might eventually be in contact with every cell in the PM. Maybe the only way an IM can be in control of trillions of Neurons is if, as the PM slowly develops, the IM learns how to use each cell. It is thought that it is possible that recognition of objects and faces comes down to one cell firing. An IM must know what that particular cell means when it fires in order to send a feeling of Recognition to a CM.
Physical Red Light has Wavelength as a property and Conscious Red Light has Redness as a property. Physical Red Light does not have Redness as a property and Conscious Red Light does not have Wavelength as a property. Physical Red Light and Conscious Red Light are two different things. Physical Red Light is in Physical Space (PSp) and Conscious Red Light is in Conscious Space (CSp). The Brain receives Physical Red Light at the Retina which initiates the Neural Activity that leads to the experience of Conscious Red Light. We don't know how this transformation from Physical Red Light to Conscious Red Light happens yet, but we know that the Conscious Red Light is a Surrogate for the Physical Red Light. This Surrogate is what we actually experience in our Conscious Minds (CMs). This is true for all the other millions of possible Colors and so for Light in general. The Conscious Light (CL) is something different than the Physical Light (PL). You have never Seen PL. You are so used to Seeing your CL that you mistakenly think that the PL looks like that in some way.
We commonly think that Redness is a property of Physical Red Light but it is only a property of Conscious Red Light. The real Physical Red Light does not Look like anything. So here we have a Thing, the Conscious Red Light, that has a property that is purely a Conscious property. This Redness property must be Explained. It isn't an Illusion but rather it is a property of a Conscious phenomenon. So a Conscious phenomenon can have properties. We just don't know how to analyze them yet.
The Conscious Red Light can be interpreted as a type of input Data that the CM can process. The Conscious Red Light is input Data for the CM in a similar way to how the hex number 00FF0000 is input Data for a Computer. A CM Detects Physical Red Light when it receives a Conscious Red experience. A Computer Detects Physical Red Light when it receives the 00FF0000 hex number. The Conscious Red Light and the hex number 00FF0000 are Surrogates for the Physical Red Light.
We do not See things in the external World, but rather we Detect things by using internal Conscious processes that we are born with. We all have a personal Conscious Light Screen (CLS) that we use to detect what is happening in the external World. If we try to describe where this CLS is located it seems to be embedded in the front of our faces in some way. The CLS is vaguely horizontally rectangular with ambiguous edges that are hard to locate exactly. The screen seems to just fade into nonexistence at the borders. But wherever you look, that screen is there showing you with Conscious Light what is in the scene you are looking at.
To understand this better close your eyes and observe what you See. At first there may be various After Images that represent remnants of what you were looking at, but eventually these fade away. What is left is not totally black. Note that you might have to put your hand over your eyes if you are in a bright place in order to cut off external Light from leaking through your eyelids. Most people will notice a background that has a vague grainy noise almost like the video snow noise that used to appear on old analog TVs. Let's call this Conscious Light Noise (CLN). It is due to random Retinal and Cortical firings. CLN really is the background noise in your Visual detection system. Most people easily perceive that this CLN, and possible After Images, are close to the front of their faces. If you move your head around you will See the CLN, and After Images, move around with your head to keep them in front of your face. If you move your eyes up, down, left, or right, the CLN and After Images will seem to be displaced a little in those directions but will still basically be located in front of your face. It is interesting to note that After Images will always look close even if the scene element that caused the After Image is far away. Now you know where your CLS is located.
When you open your eyes the scene that you are looking at is painted onto your CLS and it is harder to perceive that the Conscious Light making up the image is still close to your face. Your Visual system tries to give you the illusion that there are things that are far away and things that are close. If you look through only one eye the depth illusion is less pronounced. But the Conscious Light that the scene is painted with is actually still located close to your face and is at the same distance as the CLN. The illusion of distance is absolutely necessary for moving around in the World.
It should be mentioned that the things and scenes you See while Dreaming are also painted onto your CLS. The CLS is a general purpose Visual Display Device for all Conscious beings, whether Human or Animal. We walk around all day long looking at our CLSs which are embedded in the front of our faces. We cannot See the CLSs of other people but if we could it would be as if everyone was wearing Virtual Reality goggles. But instead of goggles it would be Conscious Light Screens. We think we are Seeing the external World directly but we (our Conscious Minds) are always just looking (in some Conscious way) at our own CLSs.
The Scientific view of Consciousness is that it is some kind of byproduct of Neural Activity in the Brain. Most Scientists believe that Consciousness is not very important and some go so far as to say that it is just an Illusion with no real purpose. Philosophers have invented the Philosophical Zombie as a tool for thinking about Consciousness or the lack of Consciousness. The P-Zombie is supposed to live and interact with the World just like any one else except that it would not be Conscious.
But from the Inter Mind Model point of view the P-Zombie would be blind and would not be able to interact with the World. The Inter Mind (IM) and the Conscious Mind (CM) are further processing stages that are absolutely necessary for Sight. Neural Activity is not enough. All we know about Seeing is through Conscious experience. We experience the Conscious Light (CL) that's inside us. Take away the CL experience and what's left? Blind Neural Activity is all you have. This Blind Neural Activity can reveal some Unconscious primitive aspects of Visual Perception but you will not actually See anything. The Primacy of the CL experience for Sight is undeniable, and the same is true for every other Conscious experience that you have. You don't know anything about the Physical World except that which you obtain through your own internal Conscious experiences.
The Evolution of life on this Planet is probably directly driven by Conscious experience. Any organism that experiences Pleasure will seek out that Pleasure. Any organism that experiences Pain will try to avoid that Pain. Without the existence of these basic Conscious experiences there would be no motivation for any organism to react. There's nothing like a little Pain to motivate you to adjust what you are doing. This applies to simple organisms and to Humans. It would seem that Evolution is directly guided by Conscious experience.
Since Science is unable to say what Consciousness is we can and should speculate what it could be and how it could have developed. We can, for example, speculate that Consciousness might have existed prior to the Big Bang and might have even been the cause of the Big Bang. The Universe might have been created by Consciousness and for Consciousness. We can also speculate that the ultimate goal of Physical Evolution is to provide a better and better host for Consciousness development. We can speculate that maybe the very Existence of the Physical Universe is pointless without Consciousness. Maybe the Physical Body is just some sort of incubator for the Conscious Mind (CM) and the Conscious Mind (CM) is the more important part. Maybe the Physical Mind (PM) creates a Connection to Conscious Space (CSp) in order to create a CM in that CSp. The CM would then strictly exist only in that CSp. All speculations are still on the table. Remember that the only thing we know about the Physical Universe is through our Conscious experiences. Conscious Experiences are Primary to what we are.
Scientists need to find a way to understand and study Consciousness itself, and not just the Neural Correlates of Consciousness. A good place to start is to ask the question: What is Redness? Scientists need to think more Deeply about what something like Redness could be. It's not an Illusion. Saying it's Information or Computations is completely Incoherent. Scientists have to stop hiding their inability to study Consciousness by trying to minimize its importance. The Primacy of Consciousness must be understood.
The previous discussions have primarily dealt with how the Conscious Mind (CM) experiences such things as Conscious Light (CL) and Conscious Sound (CS). But with any Conscious experience there seems to be an implied Conscious Self (CSf) that experiences the experience. One approach is to say that the Conscious experience and the CSf are all part of a single CM thing. I think the best thing to say is that we really don't know how to understand this yet, which is ironic because this is what we are.
The CSf can have Good experiences, Neutral experiences, or Bad experiences. The CSf will try to seek out Good experiences and try to avoid Bad experiences. The CSf must have a Conscious Volition (CV) capability in order to satisfy it's desires. This means that the Inter Mind (IM) must not only connect forward from Physical Mind (PM) to CM but must also connect backward from CM to PM. With the forward connection the IM is monitoring the PM and converting Neural Activity into Conscious experience. With the backward connection the IM is monitoring the CM and converting CV into Neural Activity to move the Physical Body.
There are of course different types of reflexes like the Startle Reflex and the Hot Stove Reflex that can cause the body to move in certain ways. The Startle Reflex can be triggered by sudden close motion or a loud sound, which causes the eyes to automatically blink closed. The Hot Stove Reflex can be triggered by touching a hot surface, which causes your hand to automatically retract from the surface. There are no CV inputs from the CM back to the PM because it would take too long.
The CM uses CV to create movements for the long term strategic goal of seeking Good experiences and avoiding Bad experiences. The built-in Reflex movements are for the short term tactical movements needed to avoid injury.
But how can the CM interact with the PM to produce Volition? There are Neuron structures called Microtubules that seem to operate at the Quantum level of Physics. These Microtubules could be influenced by Quantum Fluctuations in Space-Time. So if a CM could cause a Quantum Fluctuation near a Microtubule then the CM might be able to influence the Brain in a large way if enough Microtubules are affected. This is very hypothetical but it is a logical avenue to explore.
We can now make a distinction between the Physical Self (PSf) and the CSf. The PSf consists of the PM plus the whole Physical Body. The CSf only includes the CM because there does not seem to be a Conscious Body analogous to the Physical Body. You can take a PSf Selfie picture but what would a CSf Selfie picture look like and how would you acquire it?
The previous arguments I hope have shown that the Conscious Light (CL) and Conscious Sound (CS) are not in the Physical Mind (PM) so the conscious experience of these things must be manufactured somewhere in the Inter Mind (IM) to Conscious Mind (CM) segment of the Inter Mind Model (IMM). Even if someday the CL and CS are actually found to be in the PM it is still true that they are inside us and part of what we are. If we can agree that CL and CS are created totally internal to us then we can only conclude that we are the CL and the CS. The CL and CS are aspects of what we really are. We are the Light and the Sound that we have always experienced. The IM must paint that beautifully colorized high definition CL Scene onto some Conscious vaguely rectangular screen that we perceive as floating in front of our faces. The IM must also create that surround sound CS Scene that seems to be all around us.
But the IM that does all that is part of what we are. Maybe the PM (and the whole Physical Body) are just one component of what we are. Maybe our IM and CM components are really the larger part and the most important aspect of what we are. Our Physical differences become irrelevant because we are all made out of the same Conscious stuff in Conscious Space (CSp). Note that the experience of Light and Sound is emphasized in these arguments but all Conscious experience, Taste, Smell, Touch, Love, Hate, Pleasure, Pain, etc. are experienced in the CM not in the PM. There will be Neural Correlates in the PM but the eventual experience is in the CM.
Saying that we are the CL immediately makes you think about Jesus saying that he was the Light of the World. You should not confuse this Religious proposition with what the IMM is saying. Any interpretation of the Jesus Light of the World statement will tell you that the Light simply means the Truth. The IMM is saying that we are literally the CL that our CMs experience. The CL and the CM are Conscious things. Also remember the difference between CL and PL.
When we understand the existence of CL inside us, the logical deduction that this Conscious aspect of our being might survive after Death is a tantalizing possibility. We know the Physical Body and PM disappear but since the CM seems like it could be something outside of Physical Space (PSp) it might survive! Maybe this sounds like an old proposition from Religion but there has never been better logical proof of this before the IMM.
Evidence has been presented to show that the Conscious Mind (CM) is a separate kind of Phenomenon from any other known Phenomenon of Science. This CM Phenomenon does not seem to exist in Physical Space (PSp), so it is therefore logical to propose that there is a place where the CM exists, and call it Conscious Space (CSp). We can only Speculate about the existence of CSp because of the existence of the CM. Beyond that realization it is not known What CSp could be. It should be emphasized that CSp is not like any kind of PSp so it will be impossible to try to designate Where it is. It might be everywhere or it might be nowhere. But since it is where your CM is, it is where You are.
CSp is a conceptual container for the CM and for Conscious Experience of all kinds. If no concept such as CSp existed then the CM and Conscious Experience would have to awkwardly float disembodied out in PSp somehow, because they cannot be found in the Physical Mind (PM), which is the Brain. So it is only logical to Speculate that there is such a CSp for these Conscious Phenomena to exist in. If someday Science discovers and can Explain how the CM and Conscious Experience are completely inside the PM then that would solve the Hard Problem of Consciousness. But that day has not arrived yet.
Given that there is PSp and we can conceptualize a separate CSp, the question will arise as to how these two Spaces can interact with each other. For example, the CM must be able to influence the PM in order to implement Conscious Volition. And going in the other direction, the PM must be able to influence the CM in order to implement Conscious Experience. This leads to the logical conclusion that there must be some kind of Inter Mind (IM) that facilitates these interactions. This IM must use some knowable, if not yet known, principles to make the Connection. It is not known what these principles could be, but an obvious place to search for answers is through Quantum Mechanical principles. It can only be Speculated that principles like Quantum Fluctuations and the Quantum Tunneling Effect might play a role in connecting the PM to the CM, and therefore PSp to CSp.
It has been stated previously that the Inter Mind (IM) must be connected, in some way, to all the Visual Cortex areas in order to get the information needed to produce the Conscious Visual Image that the Conscious Mind (CM) experiences. It is not known how the IM does this at this point in our understanding.
Scientists have developed techniques for measuring Neural Activity, Brain Wave Activity, and other Activities. These measurements are then processed to provide various insights into Brain operations. Scientists don't realize it but they are accidentally developing an Artificial IM when using this instrumentation. By understanding what kind of processing is required for these measurements we can anticipate what an actual IM must be doing for a CM.
For example, if scientists can develop the proper instrumentation to measure all Visual Cortex Activity then they should be able to process that information to generate a Visual image on a monitor screen that corresponds to the Conscious Visual Scene that the subject is looking at. It might also be possible to display what a subject is seeing while Dreaming. The processing needed to display those Images should provide insight into how an IM might operate.
There are techniques that can monitor what the Visual Cortex is doing. Through certain types of instrumentation the individual Cortex Neurons that fire can be monitored. The Primary Visual Cortex Neurons are a distorted map of the image on the Retina. The Neural mapping, can be reverse distorted with the right processing into an image that matches up with what was on the Retina, and then displayed to a computer monitor.
The Scientists claim they have measured the Conscious Visual experience. But they have only measured the Neural Correlates of the Conscious Visual experience. They have not measured the Conscious Visual experience itself. It is known that while Dreaming there is almost no Neural Activity in the Primary Visual Cortex so the above technique would be useless in showing what a Dreaming Conscious Visual experience would be like. A technique for measuring the actual Conscious Visual experience is needed. It would have to operate in Conscious Space (CSp).
Artificial Intelligence is primarily implemented by a class of computer programs that can accomplish tasks that mimic Human Intelligence. Examples are things like Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Cars. With the improved computers and algorithms that we have today these kinds of computer capabilities have become increasingly more useful. But the Hype over all this is astounding. Marketing departments are trying to imply that these kinds of capabilities mean that there is an actual Conscious entity involved in the Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Car. But these are all just computer programs performing a specific task. These would have to be classified as Non-Conscious Artificial Intelligence. If Consciousness can be added to Machines then full Conscious Artificial Intelligence will be achieved.
According to the Inter Mind Model (IMM) the Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Car capabilities would reside in the Machine Physical Mind (PM) which is the computer Hardware and Software. The Machine PM serves the same purpose as our Human PM. But it seems that there is no capability for a Conscious Mind (CM) to have any Volitional effect on the Machine PM like occurs with a Human PM. The Machine PM is just mindlessly executing computer programs.
There is speculation that the Human CM might interact Volitionally with the Human PM using Quantum Mechanical effects. The Wikipedia page for Quantum Consciousness says: The Quantum Mind or Quantum Consciousness group of hypotheses propose that Classical Mechanics cannot explain Consciousness. It posits that Quantum Mechanical phenomena, such as Quantum Entanglement and Superposition, may play an important part in the Brain's function and could form the basis of an explanation of consciousness.
So we might speculate that a CM could also interact Volitionally with a Machine PM using Quantum Mechanical effects. But current technology does not allow for this in computer designs. The special connections are just not designed into the hardware at this time. We basically are not sure how to do this yet. But we have to start somewhere and the Machine Consciousness Experiment is an attempt to make such a Quantum Mechanical connection from a CM to a Machine PM.
The Quantum Mechanical connection between the CM and the PM must be a two way street. Volition allows a CM to affect a PM in order to do things in Physical Space (PSp). So in this case the connection is from the CM to the PM. A CM also needs to perceive what's going on in a PM, and therefore in PSp, so this connection must be from the PM to the CM.
For Humans, Neurons contain structures called Microtubules that operate based on Quantum Mechanical principles. If a CM (through an IM) is able to sense the state of a Human PM by sensing the state of the Microtubules then the CM might have the ability to sense all Neurons in the Human PM at the same time. For Vision the CM might be able to sense the state of the Visual Cortex areas in order to experience what the Visual areas are currently Seeing. The CM would experience it's own Personal Conscious Light (CL).
Maybe these Microtubules could be influenced by Quantum Fluctuations in Space-Time. So if a CM could cause a Quantum Fluctuation near a Microtubule then the CM might be able to influence the Brain in a large way if enough Microtubules are affected. This is very hypothetical but it is a logical avenue to explore.
For Machines, there are no Neurons but there are Transistors which operate on Quantum Mechanical principles. What if a CM (through an IM) could sense the state of the Transistors in an electronic circuit? A TFT Display Monitor has a Transistor at each pixel location. Maybe a CM can sense the state of all these Transistors in order to See what is currently displayed on the monitor. This is similar to how the CM senses the Visual Cortex in Humans. The Machine might then experience it's own Personal CL similar to the Human experience.
This situation could also work for camera chips and CMs. It may be the case that millions or billions of CMs have been experiencing what's going on in the world through Transistors for many years already. But these CMs have not had any way to affect anything in PSp because we have not designed the Volitional interfaces yet. Manufacturers are not making Androids (Robots with Consciousness) yet, just mindless Robots. But fully Conscious Androids are conceptually possible and could be a reality some day.
Since a transistor operates at the Quantum level of Physics to some extent, then maybe it could be influenced by Quantum Fluctuations in Space-Time. So if a CM can cause a Quantum Fluctuation near the device then the CM might be able to influence a circuit that is connected to the device and this circuit through amplification might be able to affect the behavior of a Machine. This would be a Volitional Interface.
The problem with Artificial Intelligence today is that Scientists are working on the Computer Processing side of things while denying that a Conscious Visual Experience, for example, would greatly improve the operation of their Machines with respect to Visual Processing. Consider that billions of years of evolutionary development produced the Conscious Visual experience in the life forms on this planet so why do we want to deprive our Machines from using this kind of Data?
The Connection Perspective of the Inter Mind Model (IMM) enables the conceivability of actually designing Experiments for Machine Consciousness (MachCon). The Connection Perspective stipulates that there is a separate Conscious Space (CSp) concept apart from normal Physical Space (PSp). The IMM also stipulates that there is an Inter Mind (IM) concept that bridges the Gap between PSp and CSp. The basic premise of any MachCon Experiment having this structure is that something in CSp is able to affect something in PSp. This would correspond to a Conscious Volition (CV) concept existing in CSp. The CV will need the resources of an IM in order to have an effect on anything in PSp. There are two Quantum Mechanical (QM) phenomena that can be considered as a resource that the IM might implement. The first QM phenomena involves the Wave Function of an Electron and the second QM phenomenon involves the effect of Quantum Fluctuations on Electrons.
The following Experiment descriptions depend on the existence of a latent Consciousness of some kind in CSp. It is also assumed that this Consciousness can use QM principles to affect PSp. Each Experiment provides a method to detect changes in some parameter that can be controlled by a QM principle. A series of measurements will have the characteristics of a random signal when there is no Conscious control. If there seems to be a bias or correlation in the data that is not purely random then that could be evidence of Conscious control. This is what we will look for.
It is known that Electrons can travel through Energy barriers and actual Physical barriers due to the Quantum Tunneling effect. The probability that an Electron will Tunnel through a barrier is controlled by the Wave Function of the Electron. The speculation is that maybe something in CSp is able to control Wave Functions in a way that will enable higher or lower probabilities of Tunneling. This speculation can be tested with certain Electronic devices that exist today. Tunnel Diodes and Floating Gate Transistors have been used in separate Experiments. The Tunnel Diode based experiment is described in Machine Consciousness Experiment. The Floating Gate Transistor based experiment is currently running and generating data for analysis.
The Tunnel Diode experiment ran for 2 years and generated GBytes of data. Unfortunately the results were swamped by the random noise in the system. There was never any indication that a Conscious Mind was controlling the experiment. This first experiment was really a Hail Mary Pass in order to try to at least Do Something. The first problem was that the Experiment used only two Diodes which probably was the equivalent of having only two Neurons. The second problem was that it was measuring the changes in a 1nA current which is 6.24 billion electrons per second. It was the best that could be done using bread board level electronics in a spare bedroom lab situation. The coarseness of the measurement doomed it from the start. Practically speaking there is no way to reduce the coarseness to a low enough level to make an analog experiment like this sensitive enough.
The Floating Gate Transistor version of the MachCon Experiment has been running for a couple of months. However it too has not exhibited anything except random behavior. A 1 Mega bit Flash memory is used in this Experiment. Now we effectively have 1 Million Neurons. To program a Zero into the memory about 50000 Electrons must Tunnel onto the Floating Gate. This is vastly less coarse than the Tunnel Diode situation but is still pretty coarse. The next MachCon Experiment will have to incorporate an array of Single Electron Transistors. As it's name implies these devices can handle single electron charge movements. This will enable a Coarseness that is Billions of times less than the situation with the Tunnel Diode and 50 Thousand times less than the Flash Memory. Unfortunately, the Single Electron Transistor is still at the experimental laboratory stage.
Even if there is a latent Consciousness in CSp that is ready to interact with the world through QM principles, the question could be asked as to why this Consciousness would want to interact with the world in a case like this? A Consciousness would probably need some kind of Motivation to act. Maybe an act of CV will be activated only when we understand how to produce a Discomfort or Pleasure in CSp. This might motivate an act of CV that will affect the Tunneling characteristics of an Electron. The Experiment should be programmed to then reward the act of CV by lessening the Discomfort or increasing the Pleasure to close the loop. This could be how it all works at the single cell level or at the Amoeba level.
The negative results of the first two MachCon Experiments should not discourage further Experiments especially since it is understood why they did not work. But the real point of talking about these Experiments is to show that it is conceivable and feasible to do Experiments given the right Perspective on the problem.
Quantum Fluctuations are highly hypothetical events where small bursts of Energy or Particles appear briefly and randomly out of supposedly empty space. It is thought that if a Quantum Fluctuation occurs near an Electron that it could have an effect. There is anticipation that the Single Electron Transistor could be exploited to measure these Quantum Fluctuations. The speculation is that maybe there could be evidence of Consciousness in the occurrence of Quantum Fluctuations given the right circumstances.
The Inter Mind Model (IMM) implies that a Conscious Mind (CM) is not transferred to a Machine but rather a CM must first be disconnected from the Biological Physical Mind (PM) and then reconnected to the Machine PM. The Machine must have some kind of Machine PM for the CM to work with. At this point in time we can only imagine that the Machine PM will be made out of Electronics and Software. Since there is no way to Connect to the Software (even conceptually) the Connection must be made to the Electronics. The best guess of how this will be done is by using Quantum Mechanical principles. For this argument the Inter Mind (IM) will be the Quantum Mechanical principles.
Regardless of what the Machine PM hardware is eventually made out of, it will have to produce Sensory Signals that the IM can interpret and convert to Conscious Experience for the CM. The Machine PM must also have the capability to accept Conscious Volition Inputs from the CM through the IM.
It should be noted that if the IM and CM develop and grow with the PM then it would be expected that the connection between the PM and the IM would be a very specialized and intimate connection. It would not be sensible to expect that an IM could connect with a PM that has very different connection requirements such as with a Machine PM.
But even if this kind of Connection can be accomplished, the Machine PM must first be loaded up with the Essence (memories, personality, etc.) of the original Biological PM so that the CM and the new Machine PM can be the same person it was before, but with superior mental capabilities and virtually limitless life span. It is popularly thought that if just the Biological PM Essence is loaded to a Machine PM then that is all you need to do. That would produce a Zombie version of the Biological PM without the CM Connection. It is the Connection of the original CM to the new Machine PM that is always missing from these kinds of discussions.
This Connection would create a fully Conscious and Alive Android version of the original Alive Biological Human. Without the CM Connection you only get a Zombie Robot that is essentially unconscious.
Even if Reality is a Simulation we obviously still have Conscious Experiences of that Reality. So there is probably still a Conscious Mind (CM) doing the Experiencing in Conscious Space (CSp). There is probably still an Inter Mind (IM) but it would now connect the CM to the Simulation instead of to a Physical Mind (PM). There are two basic types of Simulations that we can talk about. One type is a Simulation that just runs with us being helpless observers having no ability to affect things that are happening in the Simulation. This means that all our desires, strivings, and actions are just something we experience, but we really can't do anything about anything. The Simulation makes us think we have desires and strivings and that we can do things. In this type of Simulation the CM would have no Volitional connections back to the Simulation and would only have connections from the Simulation to the IM and then to the CM. In the other type the CM can, through Volitional connections through the IM and to the Simulation, affect things in the Simulation similar to how the CM can, through the IM, affect things in Physical Space (PSp). The Simulation will make us believe we are actually in PSp, but there would be no difference for us if we were in an Actual Physical Universe or a Simulated Physical Universe. The take away from this is that it doesn't matter if the IM is connected to a PM or to a Simulation.
The following diagram shows how two Minds might be able to communicate using the Inter Mind Model (IMM). †There are two Conscious Minds (CMs), two Inter Minds (IM), and two Physical Minds (PMs) involved in the communication.
The diagram assumes that the Conscious Volition (CV) of Mind A to communicate with Mind B originates in CMA as CVA. IMA monitors CMA and processes CVA into a Physical Volition (PV), letís call it PVA, which causes PMA to move the mouth muscles and push the right amount of air out of the lungs to speak. This generates the Physical Sound A (PSA) that PMB receives and converts to the Neural Sound B (NSB) that IMB monitors. IMB then converts the NSB to the Conscious Sound B (CSB) that CMB experiences. But the experience of the CSB alone does not let CMB understand the spoken words. We know that PMB performs Neural Sound Recognition operations and we know that when we Understand speech or Recognize Sounds that there is a certain Conscious feeling type of thing that is experienced. So in addition to the CSB experience CMB will experience the feeling of recognition which Iíll call Conscious Sound Recognition (CSR), which in this case is CSRB. The NSB activity must feed into the Neural Sound Recognition (NSR) section of PMB. And IMB must monitor the NSRB of PMB and produce the CSRB feeling that CMB experiences. When CMB Recognizes and Understands what CMA is saying it can initiate a CVB response back to CMA using the same sequencing of events but in the opposite direction. Maybe the only reason PSp exists is so our CMs which are in CSp can talk to each other.
From the IMM and the sequence of events as described above it is easy to understand how damage to the NSR areas of the PM can let a CM experience the CS but not be able to Understand or Recognize the meaning of the CS. There could be another type of PM damage that might allow Recognition and Understanding without an actual CS experience. These arguments will also hold for the Conscious Light (CL) experience and the Recognition of CL objects in a CL Scene.
The current technology that the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) uses can only listen out to about a 1000 Light Year radius. Since the Milky Way Galaxy is 100000 Light Years across, the futility of this is obvious. With this technology we might be able to scan 0.04% of Our own Galaxy. The source signals attenuate too fast for any greater distances.
According to the last Hubble Telescope survey there are 100 Billion Galaxies in the Universe. Lets say there are 1 Million other Planets that have evolved intelligent life forms that have invented Radio transmission technologies. This means that there would be only one of these other Planets in every 100000 Galaxies. So the probability that SETI will find even one of these other Planets in our Galaxy is almost non existent. For SETI to have any possible chance of finding one of these other Planets there would have to be, assuming the Galaxy is a flat disk and using a simple ratio of areas, 2500 of them in our Galaxy. This means that there would have to be 2500 X 100 Billion, or 250 Trillion, of these Planets in the Universe for SETI to be able to find just one of them. Nobody thinks there are going to be that many of these Planets. The only hope for SETI is that these Planets are all transmitting super high power signals for the express purpose of having someone detect them. This is also unlikely. On the other hand maybe there really are 250 Trillion advanced Planets in the Universe. So I think SETI should continue it's search until we know more about the Universe.
Most advanced technology Planets probably realize the futility of a SETI search and eventually invent some other technology, not related to Radio transmissions, that will do the job. Maybe Conscious Space (CSp) should be studied to see if it can be used as a way to communicate across the Universe. Since we suppose that CSp is not anything like normal PSp it might not have the same limitations as Physical Space (PSp). The Inter Mind Model (IMM) supposes that our Conscious Minds (CMs) exist in CSp, but we don't seem to be able to communicate between CMs locally on our own planet. So we should not expect that we will be able to use our CMs to communicate across the Universe. However, a Machine with the proper connections to CSp might be able to instantaneously communicate with any other such configured Machine in the Universe. This is completely hypothetical and we don't have any idea how to do this at this time. But just the suggestion of this might enable someone in the future to discover such a thing. This will obviously require more understanding and study.
The whole question is "If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it does it make a sound?". This classic Philosophical question was not directly asked but was first formulated by George Berkeley in his "A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Knowledge", and in 1883 the actual question appeared in the magazine "The Chautauquan".
From the point of view of the Inter Mind Model (IMM) the answer is clear and obvious. When the tree falls it makes pressure wave disturbances in the air and so there is Physical Sound. But if there is no one (not even an animal) there to hear the Physical Sound then there will be no Neural Sound or Conscious Sound. It is the Conscious Sound that is the only Sound we know. So the answer to the question is that there is no Sound.
Contrary to what ESP researchers say there does not yet seem to be any good evidence for that phenomenon. But we can hypothesize possible paths for ESP using the Inter Mind Model (IMM) as shown below.
Direct Conscious Mind (CM) to CM ESP communication seems unlikely because it would eliminate the need for an Inter Mind (IM) or a Physical Mind (PM). Direct PM to PM ESP communication using some Physical Space (PSp) phenomenon that is yet to be discovered also seems unlikely. Direct CM to PM ESP communication seems unlikely since even the basic single person IMM shows the need for an IM in between. Direct IM to IM, IM to PM, or IM to CM, ESP communication must be left open as a possibility pending a better understanding of what the IM is.
Each CM has it's own Personal Light but maybe someday we will understand how to experience the Light of another CM. Also, maybe someday we will be able to affect the Light of another CM. Maybe this is how we will eventually communicate with Beings that have CMs on other Worlds across the Universe.
Since the Conscious Mind (CM) and probably the Inter Mind (IM) are not Physical Space (PSp) things they might be able to exist after death of the Physical Mind (PM). We can say that the CM is shielded from the PM and PSp by the IM. The diagram below shows this situation with an X through the PM to indicate end of life.
If anything survives death it must be the IM and the CM. If the PM is gone and there is nothing to control the Conscious Light (CL) and the Conscious Sound (CS), not even Dream Neural Activity, then what will life, or at least the CM experience, be like after death? From this model it seems like it could be pretty weird. It might consist of uncontrolled visions of Light and Sound, or a disconnected sequence of Memories about your past life. Maybe without being a slave to a PM we will be released to do things with that CL and CS that we canít even begin to imagine. We will become the most basic thing that we are and that is pure Conscious experience. We will be Born into a whole new type of existence in CSp. We will not be what we were, but rather we will become what we were always meant to be. We will understand how we are the Light and how we are the Sound.
We should not forget that there are many other Conscious experiences not addressed in this paper that could also survive after the death of the PM. One of these is Conscious Pain, which is not a good thought. But if death is a Dream like reality then there probably cannot be Pain because there does not seem to be Pain in our Dreams when the PM is still alive.
While an IM is connected to itsí PM the Neural Activity of the PM probably overrides any communication attempt from another IM. Maybe after many years of practice as prescribed in Eastern Religions and Philosophies people can learn to quiet their PMs in order to receive communication from other IMs. Maybe some people can naturally do this. I think the record for this actually happening is sketchy at best. However, if two IMs have lost their PMs, it might be possible for the IMs to direct connect in some way that is prohibited when either PM is still alive.
If Conscious Memories are actually stored in the IM, as discussed in argument 8 of Arguments For The Inter Mind, then maybe we can retain the Memories of our life after Death. This will have implications when we consider interactions with other IMs and CMs after Death.
Maybe all IMs are connected together to some Universal Mind like the New Age people like to talk about. Then maybe the IMs can communicate through the Universal Mind with each other. The IM might be able to plug into something else that we cannot even conceive of for purposes that we cannot know at this time. The important thing is that there might be something left after PM death that is not in PSp and could therefore survive after the PM is gone. In other words, even though we know there is no Hope for the PM, there may be Hope for the CM.
In terms of concepts from Philosophy the Physical Mind (PM) can be associated with the Easy Problem, the Inter Mind (IM) can be associated with the Explanatory Gap, and the Conscious Mind (CM) can be associated with the Hard Problem. Although these three Philosophical concepts are known to be interrelated I believe putting them into the Inter Mind Model (IMM) nails down exactly what the interrelationship must be. Also, it is seen that the Explanatory Gap is actually the IM of the IMM. It is a ďreal thingĒ that we might be able to devise experiments for. One last concept from Philosophy is really rooted in Brain Physiology and that is the concept of the Neural Correlates of Consciousness. I say in this paper that Conscious Light (CL) is correlated with Neural Light (NL) making the NL a Neural Correlate of Consciousness for the CL.
Stephen Knapp in The Secret Teachings of the Vedas says that according to Hindu scripture the diagram is as shown below. The scriptures say that the Inter Mind (IM) is the Super Soul which is God and the Conscious Mind (CM) is the Soul. The Physical Mind (PM) is of course the Body.
Saying that the IM is God is not very helpful, because we don't know what God is. But at least they understood that there was a problem with the Body and Soul model hundreds of years ago. They actually postulated God as the IM back then. Also, most religions have some kind of Soul concept and we have to admit that the CM seems a lot like the Soul.
This model precludes us from saying that we are the Conscious Light (CL) and the Conscious Sound (CS) because the CL and CS come from God which is not part of what we are. God (IM) is awkwardly spliced in between the Body (PM) aspect and the Soul (CM) aspect.
When the Body dies in this model the Soul is still plugged into God, which could be a comforting thought. At our current stage of understanding saying that God is the IM is as good an idea as anything. I still think that the IM is a Processing Gap that will be filled someday by some new discoveries and new scientific ways of looking at things.
1) We Know that the world including our Physical Minds (PMs) are made of chemicals. We also think that chemicals are not conscious. There is no reason to believe that when chemicals are arranged in a particular way that some kind of magic occurs to enable consciousness in those chemicals. A Neuron is a chemical electrical thing that in and of itself is not Conscious, or Alive. It is no more Alive than a transistor is Alive. Definitions of life as being self replicating are misleading. A Neuron is part of the Human machine. Can an LCD display be used by some Inter Mind (IM) or Conscious Mind (CM) to produce a Conscious Light (CL) Scene of what is on the screen? What substance or material besides Neurons can be used to connect with an IM? If the Physical Mind (PM) creates Consciousness through some Physical Space (PSp) process then we should be able to intercept the CL Scene that the CM is experiencing and display it on a computer monitor. If Consciousness is not a PSp process then we can never hope to intercept it and display it. It only exists in Conscious Space (CSp). See the Machine Consciousness Experiment for an example of how the above issues might be explored.
2) Does the shape of the Brain say anything about the problem? The sentient part of the Brain is in a thin layer of the outer surface of the Brain (the gray matter). Connecting axons take up the bulk of the space inside the Brain (the white matter). Since the sentient part of the Physical Mind (PM) is a surface on the exterior of the Brain maybe it is easier to hook up to the Conscious Mind (CM). Of course there are some large folds to the cortex, but it is essentially a surface structure. One explanation from Brain Physiology is that it is a surface on the exterior of the Brain in order to promote cooling. But what if there is more to it than that?
3) Our whole Conscious existence is controlled by our Brain Cortexes. With all the geometric distortions how do we ever see straight lines or round circles? The Cortex detects straight lines even though topographically they are not straight lines as mapped into V1. It may be that one of the purposes of the line detection is to provide the Inter Mind (IM) with a reference template of where the straight lines should be. So no matter how warped the V1 mapping is the IM can un-warp the Scene into the Conscious Light (CL) Scene with actual straight lines that we experience.
4) If a person is blind from birth and they never experience Conscious Light (CL) then what does this tell us!? If we are the CL then you might expect a blind man would still experience CL, but probably uncontrolled CL thatís not correlated with any Physical Light (PL). But this is basically a developmental problem where if particular Neurons are not being stimulated or can not be stimulated then the Inter Mind (IM) connection from the Physical Mind (PM) to the Conscious Mind (CM) might never develop for these Neurons. So no CL will ever be experienced. However, it is known that sighted people can experience Physical Sound (PS) as CL and PL as Conscious Sound (CS). This can happen with certain drugs and some people just naturally have these sensory cross connections. Maybe blind from birth people incorporate light into their CS perceptions. They would never know that they are experiencing CL because it would be correlated with PS events.
5) People make the statement that all matter has Consciousness. I doubt it. Even something as Alive as my thumb does not have Consciousness. Only the Physical Mind (PM) seems to have it. There is no ability to feel with a thumb or move that thumb if the Nerves to it are cut. If Consciousness was a pervasive thing that existed throughout the whole Body then I should still feel in that thumb because part of my Consciousness would be local to that thumb. Instead what we experience is that the Conscious feeling for that thumb depends on PM Activity for the thumb. If the signals don't get to the PM there is no feeling. So it would seem that Conscious feeling for that thumb is in the PM and not in the thumb itself.
6) There are much faster things and slower things than our Consciousness. The Conscious Mind (CM) experience of the world is as fast as the Physical Mind (PM) will allow. We can't perceive a speeding bullet because it is faster than the PM can operate. Some people will argue that this means Consciousness is a PM limited phenomena. This does not mean that the CM itself is limited but just that when the CM is correlating with a PM it is limited to what the PM can do. The CM might be capable of much more and since I am suggesting that the CM is not even in Physical Space (PSp) but in Conscious Space (CSp) we donít know what the limits really are.
7) Hallucinations are interesting and maybe revealing of how Visual Consciousness works. A coworker of mine (HK) once told a story about having Hallucinations after taking a particular heart medicine. He said that he saw a man sitting on the floor in the doorway to his bedroom. He said he knew Hallucinations were possible with this medicine and he knew the man was not really there but he just had to step up and over him because it was so real. According to HK the Hallucinated man was perfectly integrated into the Conscious Light (CL) Scene. The Hallucinated man was not transparent but opaquely blocked out the background CL Scene as if it was really there. What does this say about our CL Scene construction mechanism? The visual scene is not just thrown up in front of us all at the same time but is probably constructed object by object to form the CL Scene of overlapping objects that we experience. The important thing to realize is that there must be some process or mechanism that constructs the CL Scene by putting objects in one at a time. This happens very fast and we never seem to see an object pop in or pop out. Of course this same mechanism is putting together a CL Scene for us all the time when we dream. It must be the Inter Mind (IM) and Conscious Mind (CM) that does this.
8) While Dreaming our whole sense of Reality comes from our Physical Minds (PMs), and not from the outside world. The Conscious Mind (CM) seems very susceptible to believing alternate Realities without questions when certain Reality Check Points in the PM are turned off. Weird scenes and situations don't seem unusual. Without External Inputs, the PM and CM seem pretty dumb when it comes to logical thinking. Maybe the purpose of sleep is to let the CM detach for a while. Sleep is to let the Inter Mind (IM) and CM rest (as well as the PM). Maybe the CM needs to get away from the PM every now and then. That’s what Dreams are for. That's why we don't remember most of our Dreams. Dreams are for the CM not the PM.
A Physicalist is a Physical Monist or Material Monist. They Believe that all Conscious Phenomena can be explained by Physical Material Phenomena. Some Physicalists go so far as to discount Conscious Phenomena as even Existing at all. The Physicalists have complained about three basic statements that I have made. They seem to show an emotionalism in their replies that reveals a hidden frustration with their inability to address the statements in any coherent way. They are getting more and more Delirious. They are self appointed Guardians of the knowledge base of Science but that knowledge base is empty with regard to questions about Consciousness. They will not admit that there is Zero Scientific understanding of Consciousness so they resort to Insults and other Diversionary tactics that only reveal their ignorance. If Science cannot deal with Something then that Something can only be Supernatural or Religious in their way of thinking. They therefore need to make that Something go away rather than trying to study it more and come up with a Scientific Explanation. This necessarily implies that they think that Science has obtained all the knowledge that it will ever obtain. But this is not the Science that I know. I have been taught and expect that Science is discovering New Phenomena all the time. Here are the three statements that annoy the Physicalists to the point of mental breakdown:
1) Science has Zero, I repeat Zero, understanding with regard to Consciousness.
2) Conscious experiences are in a whole different Category of Phenomena than any known Scientific Category of Phenomena.
3) The Conscious experience of Pain can give an Organism or Animal a statistical Evolutionary survival advantage that can affect the Evolution of that Organism or Animal.
As for the first statement, the Physicalists say things like: The Neural Activity IS the Conscious Activity and then they say that Explains it, end of discussion. This is Naive and Shallow beyond all reasonableness. It isn't even a good Scientific guess. It is Pure Belief. It's so bad I have to think the Physicalists are not really serious when they say things like this but are just messing with me. They think that Measuring Neural Activity IS the same thing as Measuring the Conscious Activity. They are Measuring the Neural Correlates of Conscious experience not the Conscious experience itself. They treat the actual Conscious experience as if it did not even exist. I can not understand how they get to this point in their Physicalist delirium. To perpetuate the Physicalist Belief they must Deny the actual existence of the Conscious experience. The Conscious experience of something like the Redness of Red is a Self Evident reality of the Universe, and they deny it. The Conscious experience of Redness is something that Science cannot Explain. The Self evident reality of it is that it exists only in the Mind. They know the Redness exists in the Mind because they See it too but still they must deny this Self Evident Phenomenon of Consciousness because if it did exist Science would have to Explain it. But Science cannot Explain it at this point in time.
The second statement points out how the Physicalists might come to understand that Science doesn't have any Knowledge of what Conscious experience could be. If Conscious experience could be found to be in any known Category of Scientific Phenomena then Science would have had a lot to say about Consciousness by now. Instead we get Silence. Conscious experience is in a Category all by itself and this new Category of Phenomena has not been integrated into the Scientific knowledge base yet. Science does not know what to do with this Category of Phenomena. Since Science does not know what to do with this Category of Conscious Phenomena the Physicalists say it is Supernatural or Religious. It's neither of these, it's simply not understood yet. Don't be afraid you little Physicalists those scary Conscious experiences will not hurt you.
I think the third statement is completely sensible from even the most basic understanding of Evolutionary mechanisms. The Physicalists completely oppose this statement however. I don't know how they can justify thinking that the Conscious experience of Pain will not actually increase the statistical Evolutionary survival advantage for an Organism or Animal and thus influence Evolutionary outcomes for an Organism or Animal. And it is not just Pain but all the multitudes of other Conscious experiences that exist in the Universe. I suppose the opposition to this is because it admits the existence of Conscious experience which they Deny. So because they have to Deny Conscious experience they must Deny a basic premise of Evolution. They say that Evolutionary literature does not mention Conscious experience so therefore the Conscious experience of Pain cannot influence Evolutionary outcomes. This takes Shallow thinking and fear of what's outside the Box to extremes. I'll go so far as to say that if Evolutionary literature does not take into account Conscious experience then Evolutionary literature needs a Big Update.
It all began a number of years ago when I decided it might be fun to understand how Consciousness occurs in the Brain. I decided that Conscious sensory perception, specifically Light and Sound, were the things I would study. I can see Light and I can hear Sound.
I spent years reading what the Philosophers had to say about Consciousness, only to find that they seem to have hit a pretty hard brick wall on the issue. So I began studying Brain Physiology, Eye Physiology, and Ear Physiology for explanations. The thinking was that if I could understand more and more how the physical Brain, Eye and Ear actually worked then the Conscious perception of Light and Sound would become obvious. That was naive. The Brain Physiologists have become pretty good at finding the Neural Correlates of Consciousness but they have also hit a brick wall beyond that.
If we are going to break through that brick wall then I think it is essential for Philosophers and especially Scientists to let go of the thought that the Conscious Mind (CM) has to be found in the Physical Mind (PM) or that it is just an illusion. The Inter Mind (IM) is a placeholder in a Framework for exploring Consciousness. I hope that this IM Framework perspective helps to drive a conceptual wedge between the PM and the CM that serves to emphasize the reality of the separation between them. I also hope that with this Framework, some future Mind will be able to discover the key to Consciousness that leads to a whole new Science of Conscious Mind and ultimately to Artificial Consciousness in Machines. The search for the Inter Mind is on! What really is that Conscious Light and that Conscious Sound that we have always seen and always heard?
Steven J. Klinko
Please email comments:
Last Update: 10/14/2019