The Big Bang happens and a new Universe is created. This Universe consists of Matter, Energy, and Space. After billions of years of complicated interactions and processes the Matter, Energy, and Space produce a planet with Conscious Life Forms (CLFs). In the course of their evolution the CLFs will need to See each other in order to live and interact with each other. But what does it really mean to See? A CLF is first of all a Physical Thing. There is no magic power that just lets a CLF See another CLF. A CLF can only Detect another CLF through some sensing mechanism which must be made out of Physical material and which uses Physical processes. There never is any kind of Seeing in the sense that we think we understand it. There is always only Detection.
So a CLF might understand that it does not ever really See another CLF, but it will still insist that it Sees the reflected Light. The CLF would be mistaken if it thinks it Sees even the reflected Light. All it can do is Detect the reflected Light. Its sensing mechanism can only produce Physical reactions, like Neural Activity, that are correlated with the reflected Light. If the reflected Light is Red the sensing mechanism will fire Neurons that only fire for Red inputs. The CLF might be able to sense that the Red Neurons are firing. So every time these Neurons fire it can report that it is seeing Red. This CLF is only sensing particular Neurons firing it is not experiencing Red like we do.
A CLF like us Sees Red as a Conscious experience and is not aware of any Neural Activity. This Conscious Red Experience is how we Detect Red Light from the external Physical World. Further investigation shows, at least for now, that the experience of Red can not be found in Matter, Energy, or Space so we must conclude that it is something that transcends these things. Let us qualify the Space we know and call it Physical Space and then introduce a new Conscious Space as the place where our Conscious experiences occur. Conscious Space might seem like a strange thing right now but someday it could be an integral part of our Scientific understanding. The Conscious Space concept will be developed throughout the Inter Mind paper and in the following topics. For now you can just think of Conscious Space as a discussion tool.
Since we have proposed this Conscious Space it is only natural to wonder if there is a corresponding Conscious Matter and a Conscious Energy. Maybe Red is a type of Conscious Matter, and maybe Volition is a type of Conscious Energy. But these analogies are just speculations because whatever Conscious Space might be, it is probably not going to be like any kind of Physical Space.
It is instructive to start talking about the perception of Light by concentrating on a particular type of Light, namely Red Light, as in the above paragraphs. But it should be understood that the two dimensional Conscious Visual Scene that we experience is made out of all the possible Colors of Light depending on what we are looking at. So in the following sections when I use the term Light I am referring to that Conscious Visual Scene with all the Colors. I have found that some people try to imagine that someone is waving a flashlight in front of them when I talk about seeing Light, or especially later in the arguments section when I talk about Dream Light. But everything you see in any particular area of the Conscious Visual Scene is some Color of Light. Of course Black is the absence of any Light in an area of the Scene.
Scientists can describe the Neural Activity that occurs in the Brain when we See. But they seem to be completely puzzled by the Conscious Visual experience that we have that is correlated with the Neural Activity. Incredibly, some even come to the conclusion that the Conscious experience is not even necessary! They can not find the Conscious experience in the Neurons so the experience must not have any function in the Visual process. They believe that the Neural Activity is sufficient for us to move around in the world without bumping into things. This is insane denial of the obvious purpose for Visual Consciousness. The Conscious Visual experience is the thing that allows us to move around in the world. Neural Activity is not enough. We would be blind without the Conscious Visual experience. The Conscious Visual experience contains vast amounts of information about the external world all packed up into a single thing.
Scientists should not disregard the Conscious Visual experience. It's just another type of Data that can be analyzed. We should call it Conscious Data. We use and analyze this Conscious Visual Data all the time without realizing it. For example when I reach for my coffee mug I have a Conscious Visual experience where I See my hand moving toward the coffee mug. If My hand is off track I sense this in the Conscious Visual experience and adjust the movement of my hand. If I did not have the Conscious Visual experience I would not be able to pick up my coffee mug, or at least it would be much more difficult with just Neural Activity. So the Conscious Visual experience is just Data that helps us interact with the world. This Conscious Visual Data is absolutely necessary for us to function. Similar arguments can be made for the Conscious Auditory experience, the Conscious Smell experience, the Conscious Taste experience, and the Conscious Touch experience. All these experiences are just a type of Data that we can analyze.
The Conscious Mind concept, which will be developed in the Inter Mind paper, can be viewed as a kind of Conscious Processor that takes the Conscious Light, Sound, Smell, Taste, and Touch Experiences as Input Data to help it survive in the world. This is a very strange kind of Processing (although actually very familiar) and it is very different from the Processing that Computers can do. The Processing that the Conscious Mind does is also very different than the Neural Processing that the Brain does. Let's talk about the Color Red. In the Physical World we know that Red Light is an oscillating Electromagnetic phenomenon with a particular wavelength associated with it. In the Brain Red is the coordinated Firing of groups of specific Neurons. In the Conscious Mind Red is an Experience. In Computers Red is usually represented as the hex number 00FF0000 stored in a memory location. Electromagnetic Phenomena, Firing Neurons, the Red Experience, and the Number 00FF0000 are completely different kinds of Data.
The Conscious Input Data must be derived from Neural Activity in the Physical Mind (Brain) so we should conclude that the Conscious Mind is Connected to the Physical Mind in some way. The nature of this Connection will be developed in the sections below. Note that there is no Artificial Intelligence program or electronics today that can make this kind of Connection.
This paper will present an alternative perspective for thinking about how Consciousness might occur in the Mind. Consciousness has many aspects that could be used as discussion tools, but for this paper the Conscious perception of Light and Sound will be emphasized. Light and Sound perception seem to be things that could be understood using basic scientific and engineering reasoning.
The prevailing Philosophical and Scientific view that Consciousness is just an illusion seems to me to be totally unscientific. When they say that Consciousness is just an Illusion they are saying that Consciousness does not really exist. Have they ever actually seen Light or heard Sound? Many Philosophers at least admit that they do not know. They have produced such concepts as the Explanatory Gap by Joseph Levine in Materialism and Qualia, the Hard Problem and the Easy Problem by David Chalmers in The Conscious Mind, and the concept of sensory Qualia by Clarence Irving Lewis in Mind and the World Order.
The state of the art in Brain Physiology these days can describe how electromagnetic waves (Physical Light) hitting the Retina cause signals to be generated in Nerve paths that travel from the Eye through the Brain and to the Visual Cortex in back of the head. A vast amount of parallel processing occurs and specific areas of the Visual Cortex will fire for various different aspects of the Light scene that is being viewed. Some Neurons will fire for straight lines, some Neurons will fire for various specific Colors, some Neurons will fire for image motion, and other Neurons will fire for any number of other specific aspects of the Light scene. These are the Neural Correlates of Consciousness for Light perception as described by Christof Koch in The Quest for Consciousness.
The problem is that the Brain is an electro-chemical machine and nowhere during all the processing that goes on can you find the actual Conscious perception of Light. I like to say that when you have a Conscious perception of Light that you are seeing Conscious Light. I also want to emphasize the distinction between Physical Light (PL) and Conscious Light (CL). The PL is electromagnetic waves which are always black and colorless, but it is the CL that we actually perceive and see. This distinction between PL and CL must be understood completely and fully. This distinction should seem obvious to people but I have found that most people just donít get it. We could even say that before Consciousness there was no Light on the Planet, just electromagnetic waves. This paper will attempt to make this distinction more plausible and understandable.†
Philosophers like to call CL the Light Qualia. My spell checker does not even know the word Qualia. I like the symmetry and intuitiveness of saying PL and CL. I also like to say that PL exists in Physical Space (PSp) and CL exists in Conscious Space (CSp). We can also talk about Physical Sound (PS) which consists of pressure waves in the air and Conscious Sound (CS) which is the Sound that we experience in CSp.
The Light or Sound that we have always experienced is CL or CS not PL or PS. PL or PS exists in PSp and CL or CS exists in CSp. In talking about CSp it is assumed that it is not a space like our physical three dimensional world but it is certainly a different realm or reality. I decided that saying Conscious Realm was too spooky and maybe misleading so Iím going to stick with CSp. CSp may ultimately be recognized to be an aspect of PSp but at this point it is better to keep it distinct. I think that eventually, CSp will be recognized as a completely different thing than we can imagine today. I would also like to refer to the Brain as the Physical Mind (PM) and the ďthingĒ that experiences the CL or CS as the Conscious Mind (CM). The CM contains your personal Conscious ďIĒ or "Self". With these definitions and abbreviations in hand I would like to present the following diagram to show what we know so far about the Conscious perception of Light.
The PM is defined to consist of the Brain and all connected sensory devices, like Eyes and Ears. The Retina of the Eye is acknowledged to be made up of specialized Neurons, so it is an actual component of the PM. Itís easy to see why the PL arrow is connected directly to the PM.
The instant PL hits the PM it is not PL anymore, but rather it is converted into Neural Activity that is transmitted to the various Visual areas inside the PM. Since the Neural Activity occurs in the Visual areas of the PM and the Neural Activity is correlated with the PL, I like to call this particular Neural Activity, Neural Light (NL). The diagram shows that even though the NL is correlated with the PL it is not CL yet. The CL that we actually perceive is also correlated to the PL and therefore to the NL. The heart of the problem is that CL cannot be found in the PM by studying the NL. We are sure we know two things: 1) when NL occurs in the PM 2) there is correlated CL occurring in the CM. Both of these are also correlated with the original PL. There is an analogous argument for PS, Neural Sound (NS), and CS.
I would like to make a quick comment about my definition of Neural Light. The complaint that people have had was that Neural Activity is not Light. Of course it's not PL, but the NL that I talk about is actually more related to the CL that we experience. What we experience is a further processing stage that uses the NL to produce the CL. We have never seen the PL only the CL that is correlated to the NL. PL is just some electro-magnetic phenomenon that can stimulate NL. If you rub your eye the right way you will see lights. Rubbing your eye can stimulate NL which results in a CL experience.
Now think about the CL experience you have while dreaming at night in your bedroom where there is almost no PL. You could say that Dreams are made out of CL. If it's not CL then what is it? The one thing we can say for sure is that this Dream Light is certainly inside of us.
Also think about the CL experience of After Images, where you continue to see a remnant of the scene you were looking at even after you close your eyes. Obviously we can and do experience CL without PL. We have always seen our own CL but we did not know it was ours. This should become more understandable after reading the two Arguments sections.
I take the position that the PM is an electro-chemical machine that exists in PSp. The PM has no consciousness in and of itself. I take the position that the CM exists in a separate reality and I say that the CM exists in CSp. But how does the NL in the PM get converted to CL that the CM can use? Somehow the CM must monitor the NL in the PM and then generate the CL for the CM. I think that there must be some other Mind component that monitors the NL in the PM and converts this into the CL that the CM experiences. I call this other Mind the Inter Mind (IM), because it is an interface between the PM and the CM. From these definitions we can now draw the following diagram for the Conscious perception of light.
This diagram is for the Light path and it compresses many complicated things into a simple Triplistic or Triple Mind model that is easily remembered and conceptualized. I like to call it the Inter Mind Model (IMM) to emphasize the central role that the IM plays. Forget about Dualism this is Triplism. Note that I am not saying the diagram explains anything we did not already know. In fact, I think the IM is but yet another thing that we do not know. It is probably counterintuitive but I think the introduction of this new unknown might actually help us understand the other unknowns in the whole Mind problem. I believe the IMM will provide a solid Framework for the next step in the exploration of Consciousness.
The IM could be a part of the PM or the CM or it could stand alone as a separate Mind. Whatever the case may be there must be something somewhere that has the functionality of the IM. if the IM is found to be an aspect of the PM then that aspect should be called the IM aspect of the PM. NL does not turn into CL all by itself. Even if everything is eventually found to be located in the PM, the functional stages of the diagram must still be true. Maybe Dark Matter or Dark Energy will eventually be shown to have something to do with Consciousness and the Inter Mind. We just don't know yet so all options must be left on the table.
Philosophers will say the IM is just the Explanatory Gap. I believe that the IM is more specifically a Processing Gap rather than a more general Explanatory Gap. But of course Processing would still be an Explanation. Evidence for this Processing Gap idea will be presented later.
According to the IMM: PL is converted into NL by the PM in PSp, and then NL is converted into CL by the IM, and then CL is what is actually perceived by the CM in CSp. But the PL, NL, and CL are three very different kinds of phenomena related to the experience of Light. The PL is Electro-Magnetic Energy, the NL is Neural Activity in the Visual areas, and the CL is the thing that we actually perceive.
This means that we all have our own Personal CL that we use to guide us while moving around in the world. I have my own CL and every other person on the planet has their own CL. No one sees PL but only their own Personal CL. I have my Light, you have your Light, we all have our own Light. We don't really See in the way we think we do, rather we examine our CL to determine what we are looking at. So instead of asking the question: "What do you see?", we should ask: "What does your CL show you?".
Note that the IMM shows that the IM presents the CL to the CM but the process of how this happens is not known. The CL is not PL so we should not expect that the CM will need some CSp Retina to perceive it leading to an infinite regression of other forms of Light and other forms of Retinas. The CM is the end point of the perception chain even if we do not understand how the CL is experienced by the CM.
I take the position that we have never seen any actual object that exists in PSp. We do not "See" but rather we "Detect" objects. We might think we see the PL reflected from objects but do not see the objects themselves. But it's even worse than that because we don't really see the PL either. The Light that we have always seen is CL not PL. We have never seen PL only the CL that is correlated with the PL. The PL originates in PSp causing correlated NL in the PM which is also in PSp, but the CL is perceived by the CM in CSp. We can say that the PM exists and lives in PSp and the CM exists and lives in CSp. This should become more understandable after reading the two Arguments sections.
We cannot even begin to talk about the IM if we do not at least recognize the existence of a CM separate from the PM. We do not have to understand exactly what the CM is, but we must at least suspect that it is something. I am not going to get into any of the Philosophical intricacies of the whole Body Mind problem in this paper. I am just going to call it as I see it and present some arguments that point to the existence of a separate CM.
1) The first argument is based on an engineering analysis approach where we trace the path of Light perception. The first thing that happens is that PL enters the Eye and is focused onto the Retina. The instant the PL hits the Retina it activates the Rods and Cones. Various wavelengths of PL will preferentially activate various different Rods and Cones. The PL is absorbed by the Rods and Cones and the PL is no longer PL. What is left is an avalanche of chemical reactions that eventually fires a Neuron that sends a signal away from the Retina and to the Visual Areas (VAs) of the Cerebral Cortex, and this happens for millions of Neurons at the same time and these signals are all bundled into the Optic Nerve. Itís a long journey from the Retina through the Lateral Geniculate Nucleus (LGN) of the Thalamus and to the Visual Areas which are located in the back of the head. One of the known functions of the LGN is to block Visual information from the Eye during sleep. During this whole trip from Eye to the VAs we are not dealing with PL anymore but rather this is of course NL. The NL signals eventually arrive at the first Visual Area (V1) get processed and are then sent to the second Visual Area (V2) and on to other Visual Areas V3, V4, V5, and more. All the areas also send signals back to previous Areas to create a giant mish mash of parallel processing that is difficult to completely quantify. All the processing and feedback is also NL since it is correlated with the PL. But the PL is long gone, all you have is NL. So all we can really say is that we experience NL not PL. But the NL as described is not CL. Itís just Neural Activity. Where is the experience of CL? We know when this NL happens that CL happens. But the CL cannot be found in the Brain. Ok, itís not found YET, and maybe someday it will be found in the Brain. But for now we cannot find it in the Brain. We can only speculate that it is in some other realm or dimension or space. I say CL is in CSp. We can then speculate that there must be a CM that exists in CSp that is experiencing the CL. A similar argument can be made if we trace the path of PS to NS and then to CS.
2) In this argument I will further develop the idea that CL and CS are actually different Things than PL and PS. They are Conscious Things that exist in the CM which is in CSp. Some writers like to use the word Substance instead of Thing. I think the word Substance has misleading implications so Ill stay with the more ambiguous Thing word. First of all PL is an electromagnetic wave Thing that consists of electric and magnetic fields oscillating at various frequencies. One frequency might give you a Red experience and another frequency might give you a Green experience. Letís talk about Red. Red PL has a certain frequency and Red CL has a certain color experience. Nowhere in the experience of Red do you experience any kind of frequency oscillation. Rather, Red seems to be a steady non oscillating other kind of Thing than the electromagnetic Thing. Itís a Conscious Thing that exists in the CM. When we consider all the colors we can say that the CM experiences a Scene of Light painted with all the different possible color Things. Our perceptual situation is similar to how NASA creates pictures of the universe with different ďfalse colorsĒ superimposed on the images to show for example where the hydrogen and the oxygen is located. Philosophical Objectivists say, with regard to our perception of color, that ďAll Colors Are False ColorsĒ. PL is black and colorless in and of itself. Somewhere in the PM, IM, CM chain the color is added. Similar arguments could be made for the oscillatory PS Thing and the CS Tone Thing. People are so familiar with their own personal CL and CS that they think they are PL and PS. The Light and the Sound that you have always seen and heard is not PL and PS but CL and CS. The fact that the CL and CS are correlated with the PL and PS enables the misconception.
3) This argument is similar to argument 2 but uses slightly different logic. Things in PSp can be described and communicated from one Mind to another Mind. Many things in CSp cannot be described or communicated from one Mind to another Mind. Try describing Red to someone. Red can only be experienced in the CM which is in CSp. This probably means that Red does not even exist in PSp but only in CSp which argues for a CM to experience the Red.
4) This argument involves our perception of Light and Sound in our Dreams. Where does all that Dream Light (DL) and Dream Sound (DS) come from? It canít be PL and PS. Itís completely dark and silent in your bedroom at night. DL and DS are probably activated by NL and NS but the experience still must be CL and CS. So we must conclude that DL and DS are CL and CS. Dream Consciousness is an Uncontrolled Hallucination in the sense that what you experience is not correlated with anything happening in the outside world. According to Max Clowes Awake Consciousness is a Controlled Hallucination since the experience is correlated with things happening in the outside world. Note that Iím not talking about trying to control your Dreams here. Iím saying that actual Awake Consciousness and Dream Consciousness seem to use the same Hallucination mechanism to present a reality to the CM. Experiences of CL and CS during Awake Consciousness in the CM are correlated with NL and NS activity in the PM and the NL and NS are correlated with PL and PS in the outside world. Experiences of CL and CS during Dream Consciousness are also in the CM and are correlated to some NL and NS activity in the PM, but there are no correlations to anything in the outside world.
5) This argument involves Evolution and the Conscious experience of Pain. I think Evolution is heavily guided by CM sensations. Pain will make an organism do almost anything to get rid of it. Evolution would not even work without pain. Pain is central to our existence today. Pain is perfectly bad. We (every organism on the planet) hate Pain. The misconception that people have is that the firing of Neurons is the Pain. But this is only Neural Pain and is not Conscious Pain. A Neuron is an electro chemical thing. Letís hook a battery through a switch to a light bulb. You could instruct that whenever the switch is closed and the light is on that this represents Pain. It is analogous to a Neuron firing. You see the light come on and react because you know that's what you are supposed to do. But how long will this last. You will get bored. The fact the light comes on provides no real motivation to act. We need a CM to feel Pain when the light comes on. The Pain provides the motivation to survive. You will never get bored. It will always work. There were probably many other types of CM experiences that guided Evolution, but pain was probably one of the first that developed. So we need a separate CM concept even for Evolution to work. I think it is possible that the real purpose for Evolution is related to development of the CM. The CM is the driving force behind Evolution providing motivation in the form of the Desire to Evolve.
The IM is a natural conclusion when you understand the existence of the CM. As with the CM we do not have to understand exactly what the IM is, but we must at least suspect that it is something. Again, I am just going to call it as I see it and present some arguments that point to the existence of the IM.
1) The first argument is based on an analysis of what the Visual Areas of the Brain are actually doing. It does not appear that the Visual Areas are processing the Light information with the goal of creating the integrated CL Scene that we experience. Rather the Brain seems to deconstruct the image with the goal of detecting elementary properties of the image like lines, edges, motion, and color. There do not seem to be any downstream Visual Areas that are involved with reconstructing the CL Scene that we experience from all the deconstructed properties that the Brain detects. The only place where there is a good undistorted image is on the Retina of the Eye. The other various stages of processing are highly warped and distorted maps of the retina. The highest stages don't really even map at all. The highest stages seem to be involved in image recognition and the lower stages seem to be for mechanical control of focus and eye convergence. But we find that there are artifacts from the downstream processing stages that become visible in our CL Scene. For example there are some edge enhancement and shading effects that are generated in V1 that can be experienced in the CL Scene. Also if there is a damaged area in V1 then an equivalent blacked out area will appear in the CL Scene. Similarly if there is damage to the Color areas then the Color experience will be impaired or completely missing. So it seems that whatever is creating the CL Scene must use and be in contact with all the processing stages at the same time. The actual CL Scene is a kind of overlay of all the areas. It seems that the data available at these processing stages are hints as to what the CL Scene should look like. This data must be the input to the CM. It seems that there is a lot of processing that has to take place to reintegrate all the Visual Area processing results into the seemingly perfect CL Scene that we experience. There is a Processing Gap. We could just say that the CM monitors the PM Visual Areas and creates this Scene itself. I think it is more instructive to propose that there must be a whole new aspect of the Mind that consists of further processing stages that monitors the PM and generates the CL Scene that the CM perceives. This of course is the IM. It should also be mentioned that this process of combining the processing results of the various areas of the Visual system to create the single CL Scene is called Binding. The fact that no one knows how this is accomplished is called the Binding Problem. I think that the Binding processing might eventually be found to be located in the Inter Mind.
2) This argument involves a particularly mind boggling aspect of Visual processing in the Brain. See the Flattened Retina figure below for the right side Eye.
The Eye is vertically split through the center of the Fovea. The Fovea is the area where the fine detail of the Scene exists. Note that there is more area on the nasal side than on the temporal side. The Left Visual Field (all rods and cones to the left of the dotted line) is processed by V1 on the right side of the Brain and the Right Visual Field (all rods and cones to the right of the dotted line) is processed by a different V1 on the left side of the Brain. If you close your left Eye the CL Image that you experience is split in half for processing but you never see a line. How does it get spliced back together in the final CL Scene that we perceive? The perception must use the Retina itself to make the CL Scene. The Retina is the only place where the Scene halves are still connected together. There seems to be no downstream processing stage that even attempts to connect the Scene halves back together. There is a Processing Gap. Something else must be at work here and I think it calls for further processing beyond what we find in the Brain. It seems that there must be some sort of IM that has this processing capability.
3) This argument is about the 3D effect in the CL Scene. With both Eyes open the input to a V1 Area will be an overlay of the equivalent Scene regions from the left Eye and the right Eye. Because of the difference in location of the Eyes the two overlaid Scenes will be slightly displaced. It is easy to imagine that this displacement of the Scenes could be exploited by some further processing to create the awesome CL 3D Scene that we experience. There is of course further processing, but there seems to be no kind of processing that would account for the 3D look of things in the CL Scene. There is a Processing Gap. Something must monitor the V1 displacements as well as any further processing and then create the CL Scene in such a way that it has a 3D effect. The CM could do this processing or maybe the processing will be found in the PM some day. †I believe itís better to propose that some IM performs the actual processing.
4) This argument involves the motion detection Areas of the Brain. We think that motion is such a completely natural thing in our reality, but you will not experience motion properly if your Motion Areas are damaged. People with extensively damaged motion Areas experience snap shot CL Scenes that are spaced in time by seconds or even longer. Itís got to be a scary world. With less extensive damage the effect is that motion seems to have a trailing persistence effect meaning that the snap shots are just faster than in the more damaged case. From an engineering point of view it looks like the Brain is implementing some kind of Video Compression scheme. It looks like if there is no motion detected then the CL Scene doesn't need to update which would save processing time. Something is monitoring the motion Areas and only generating update CL Scenes if there is motion. If there is no motion nothing needs to be updated. There is a Processing Gap. I believe there is further processing going on here and it must be some kind of IM that is doing it.
5) This argument involves color mixing. Why do the colors mix to form other colors the way they do? The most curious thing is how does White result from the combination of Red, Green, and, Blue? White seems like something very different than those primaries. Who would even say that they see the Red component in White? The sensation is that White isn't even a color. Why is Red part of white? All the PM (Eye part) does is fire some Red cones, Green cones, and Blue cones, and then we see White. How does this happen? What sequence of further Neural Activity could possibly produce an experience of White? This is an obvious Processing Gap, and I think that the processing for this is not something we can even hypothesize about using PSp knowledge. It is a different domain or kind of processing that we donít know about yet. Whatever it is and wherever it is, letís just say itís the IM that does this processing.
6) This argument involves a strange condition called Functional Blindness where no Neurological deficits can be found in the PM but nevertheless patients report that they are Blind. The cause of this is a medical mystery but seems to be related to certain types of Psychological problems like depression. No Physiological explanation can be found no matter what type of test is conducted. The Neurons are Firing but the patient is still Blind. It seems almost obvious that the IM must be involved. The Neural Firing in the PM was not being interpreted and transmitted to the CM by the IM for whatever reason. An obvious symptom of an IM problem and thus evidence of the existence of an IM.
We do not See things in the external World, but rather we Detect things by using internal Conscious processes that we are born with. We all have a personal Conscious Light Screen (CLS) that we use to detect what is happening in the external World. If we try to describe where this CLS is located it seems to be embedded in the front of our faces in some way. The CLS is vaguely horizontally rectangular with ambiguous edges that are hard to locate exactly. The screen seems to just fade into nonexistence at the borders. But wherever you look, that screen is there showing you with Conscious Light what is in the scene you are looking at.
To understand this better close your eyes and observe what you See. At first there may be various After Images that represent remnants of what you were looking at, but eventually these fade away. What is left is not totally black. Note that you might have to put your hand over your eyes if you are in a bright place in order to cut off external Light from leaking through your eyelids. Most people will notice a background that has a vague grainy noise almost like the video snow noise that used to appear on old analog TVs. Let's call this Conscious Light Noise (CLN). It is due to random Retinal and Cortical firings. CLN really is the background noise in your Visual detection system. Most people easily perceive that this CLN, and possible After Images, are close to the front of their faces. If you move your head around you will See the CLN, and After Images, move around with your head to keep them in front of your face. It is interesting to note that After Images will always look close even if the scene element that caused the After Image is far away. Now you know where your CLS is located.
When you open your eyes the scene that you are looking at is painted onto your CLS and it is harder to perceive that the Conscious Light making up the image is still close to your face. Your Visual system tries to give you the illusion that there are things that are far away and things that are close. If you look through only one eye the depth illusion is less pronounced. But the Conscious Light that the scene is painted with is actually still located close to your face and is at the same distance as the CLN. The illusion of distance is absolutely necessary for moving around in the World.
It should be mentioned that the things and scenes you See while Dreaming are also painted onto your CLS. The CLS is a general purpose Visual Display Device for all Conscious beings, whether Human or Animal. We walk around all day long looking at our CLSs which are embedded in the front of our faces. We cannot See the CLSs of other people but if we could it would be as if everyone was wearing Virtual Reality goggles. But instead of goggles it would be Conscious Light Screens. We think we are Seeing the external World directly but we (our Conscious Minds) are always just looking (in some Conscious way) at our own CLSs.
The previous arguments I hope have shown that the CL and CS are not in the PM so the conscious experience of these things must be manufactured somewhere in the IM to CM segment of the IMM. Even if someday the CL and CS are actually found to be in the PM it is still true that they are inside us and part of what we are. If we can agree that CL and CS are created totally internal to us then we can only conclude that we are the CL and the CS. The CL and CS are aspects of what we really are. We are the Light and the Sound that we have always experienced. The IM must paint that beautifully colorized high definition CL Scene onto some Conscious vaguely rectangular screen that we perceive as floating in front of our faces. The IM must also create that surround sound CS Scene that seems to be all around us.
But the IM that does all that is part of what we are. Maybe the PM (and the whole Physical Body) are just one component of what we are. Maybe our IM and CM components are really the larger part and the most important aspect of what we are. Our Physical differences become irrelevant because we are all made out of the same Conscious stuff in CSp. Note that the experience of Light and Sound is emphasized in these arguments but all Conscious experience, Taste, Smell, Touch, Love, Hate, Pleasure, Pain, etc. are experienced in the CM not in the PM. There will be Neural Correlates in the PM but the eventual experience is in the CM.
When we understand the existence of CL inside us, the logical deduction that this Conscious aspect of our being might survive after Death is a tantalizing possibility. We know the Physical Body and PM disappear but since the CM seems like it could be something outside of PSp it might survive! Maybe this sounds like an old proposition from Religion but there has never been logical proof of this before the IMM.
The previous discussions have primarily dealt with how the CM experiences such things as CL and CS. But with any Conscious experience there seems to be an implied Conscious Self (CSf) that experiences the experience. One approach is to say that the Conscious experience and the CSf are all part of a single CM thing. I think the best thing to say is that we really don't know how to understand this yet, which is ironic because this is what we are.
The CSf can have Good experiences, Neutral experiences, or Bad experiences. The CSf will try to seek out Good experiences and try to avoid Bad experiences. The CSf must have a Conscious Volition (CV) capability in order to satisfy it's desires. This means that the IM must not only connect forward from PM to CM but must also connect backward from CM to PM. With the forward connection the IM is monitoring the PM and converting Neural Activity into Conscious experience. With the backward connection the IM is monitoring the CM and converting CV into Neural Activity to move the Physical Body.
There are of course different types of reflexes like the Startle Reflex and the Hot Stove Reflex that can cause the body to move in certain ways. The Startle Reflex can be triggered by sudden close motion or a loud sound, which causes the eyes to automatically blink closed. The Hot Stove Reflex can be triggered by touching a hot surface, which causes your hand to automatically retract from the surface. There are no CV inputs from CM back to PM because it would take too long.
The CM uses CV to create movements for the long term strategic goal of seeking Good experiences and avoiding Bad experiences. The built-in Reflex movements are for the short term tactical movements needed to avoid injury.
We can now make a distinction between the Physical Self (PSf) and the CSf. The PSf consists of the PM plus the whole Physical Body. The CSf only includes the CM because there does not seem to be a Conscious Body analogous to the Physical Body. You can take a PSf Selfie picture but what would a CSf Selfie picture look like and how would you acquire it?
It has been stated previously that the IM must be connected, in some way, to all the Visual Cortex areas in order to get the information needed to produce the Conscious Visual Image that the CM experiences. It is not known how the IM does this at this point in our understanding.
Scientists have developed techniques for measuring Neural Activity, Brain Wave Activity, and other Activities. These measurements are then processed to provide various insights into Brain operations. Scientists don't realize it but they are accidentally developing an Artificial IM when using this instrumentation. By understanding what kind of processing is required for these measurements we can anticipate what an actual IM must be doing for a CM.
For example, if scientists can develop the proper instrumentation to measure all Visual Cortex Activity then they should be able to process that information to generate a Visual image on a monitor screen that corresponds to the Visual Scene that the subject is looking at. It might also be possible to display what a subject is seeing while dreaming. The processing needed to display those Images should provide insight into how an IM might operate.
Artificial Intelligence is primarily implemented by a class of computer programs that can accomplish tasks that mimic Human Intelligence. Examples are things like Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Cars. With the improved computers and algorithms that we have today these kinds of computer capabilities have become increasingly more useful. But the Hype over all this is astounding. Marketing departments are trying to imply that these kinds of capabilities mean that there is an actual Conscious entity involved in the Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Car. But these are all just computer programs performing a specific task. These would have to be classified as Non-Conscious Artificial Intelligence. If Consciousness can be added to Machines then full Conscious Artificial Intelligence will be achieved.
According to the IMM the Speech Recognition, Facial Recognition, and Self Driving Car capabilities would reside in the Machine PM which is the computer Hardware and Software. The Machine PM serves the same purpose as our Human PM. But it seems that there is no capability for a CM to have any Volitional effect on the Machine PM like occurs with a Human PM. The Machine PM is just mindlessly executing computer programs.
There is speculation that the CM might interact Volitionally with the Human PM using Quantum Mechanical effects. The Wikipedia page for Quantum Consciousness says: The Quantum Mind or Quantum Consciousness group of hypotheses propose that Classical Mechanics cannot explain Consciousness. It posits that Quantum Mechanical phenomena, such as Quantum Entanglement and Superposition, may play an important part in the Brain's function and could form the basis of an explanation of consciousness.
So we might expect that a CM would interact Volitionally with a Machine PM using Quantum Mechanical effects. But current technology does not allow for this in computer designs. The special connections are just not designed into the hardware at this time. We basically are not sure how to do this yet. But we have to start somewhere and the Machine Consciousness Experiment is an attempt to make such a Quantum Mechanical connection from a CM to a Machine PM. Note that the Quantum Mechanical effect is the IM because it connects the CM to the Machine PM.
The Quantum Mechanical connection between the CM and the PM must be a two way street. Volition allows a CM to affect a PM in order to do things in PSp. So in this case the connection is from the CM to the PM. A CM also needs to perceive what's going on in a PM, and therefore in PSp, so this connection must be from the PM to the CM.
For Humans, Neurons contain structures called Microtubules that operate based on Quantum Mechanical principles. If a CM (through an IM) is able to sense the state of a Human PM by sensing the state of the Microtubules then the CM might have the ability to sense all Neurons in the Human PM at the same time. For Vision the CM might be able to sense the state of the Visual Cortex areas in order to experience what the Visual areas are currently Seeing. The CM would experience it's own Personal CL.
For Machines, there are no Neurons but there are Transistors which operate on Quantum Mechanical principles. What if a CM (through an IM) could sense the state of the Transistors in an electronic circuit? A TFT Display Monitor has a Transistor at each pixel location. Maybe a CM can sense the state of all these Transistors in order to See what is currently displayed on the monitor. This is similar to how the CM senses the Visual Cortex in Humans. The Machine might then experience it's own Personal CL similar to the Human experience.
This situation could also work for camera chips and CMs. It may be the case that millions or billions of CMs have been experiencing what's going on in the world through Transistors for many years already. But these CMs have not had any way to affect anything in PSp because we have not designed the Volitional interfaces yet. Manufacturers are not making Androids (Robots with Consciousness) yet, just mindless Robots. But Androids are conceptually possible and are probably not far away.
The problem with Artificial Intelligence today is that Scientists are working on the Computer Processing side of things while denying that a Conscious Visual Experience, for example, would greatly improve the operation of their Machines with respect to Visual Processing. Consider that billions of years of evolutionary development produced the Conscious Visual experience in the life forms on this planet so why do we want to deprive our Machines from using this kind of Data?
The Inter Mind Model implies that a CM is not transferred to a Machine but rather a CM must first be disconnected from the Biological PM and then reconnected to the Machine. The Machine must have some kind of Machine PM for the CM to work with. At this point in time we can only imagine that the Machine PM will be made out of Electronics and Software. Since there is no way to Connect to the Software (even conceptually) the Connection must be made to the Electronics. The best guess of how this will be done is by using Quantum Mechanical principles. For this argument the IM will be the Quantum Mechanical principles.
But even if this kind of Connection can be accomplished the Machine PM must first be loaded up with the essence of the original Biological PM so that the CM and the new Machine PM can be the same person it was before, but with superior mental capabilities and virtually limitless life span. It is popularly thought that if just the Biological PM essence is loaded to a Machine PM then that is all you need to do. That would produce a Zombie version of the Biological PM without the CM Connection. It is the Connection of the CM to the Machine PM that is always missing from these kinds of discussions.
This Connection would create a fully Conscious and Alive Android version of the original Alive Biological Human. Without the CM Connection you only get a Zombie Robot that is essentially unconscious.
Even if Reality is a Simulation we obviously still have Conscious Experiences of that Reality. So there is probably still a CM doing the Experiencing in CSp. There is probably still an IM but it would now connect the CM to the Simulation instead of to a PM. There are two basic types of Simulations that we can talk about. One type is a Simulation that just runs with us being helpless observers having no ability to affect things that are happening in the Simulation. This means that all our desires, strivings, and actions are just something we experience, but we really can't do anything about anything. The Simulation makes us think we have desires and strivings and that we can do things. In this type of Simulation the CM would have no Volitional connections back to the Simulation and would only have connections from the Simulation to the IM and then to the CM. In the other type the CM can, through Volitional connections through the IM and to the Simulation, affect things in the Simulation similar to how the CM can, through the IM, affect things in PSp. The Simulation will make us believe we are actually in PSp, but there would be no difference for us if we were in an Actual Physical Universe or a Simulated Physical Universe. The take away from this is that it doesn't matter if the IM is connected to a PM or to a Simulation.
The following diagram shows how two Minds might be able to communicate using the IMM. †
The diagram assumes that the Conscious Volition (CV) of Mind A to communicate with Mind B originates in CMA as CVA. IMA monitors CMA and processes CVA into a Physical Volition (PV), letís call it PVA, which causes the PM to move the mouth muscles and push the right amount of air out of the lungs to speak. This generates the PSA that PMB receives and converts to the NSB that IMB monitors. IMB then converts the NSB to the CSB that CMB experiences. But the experience of the CSB alone does not let CMB understand the spoken words. We know that the PM performs Neural Sound Recognition operations and we know that when we Understand speech or Recognize Sounds that there is a certain Conscious feeling type of thing that is experienced. So in addition to the CSB experience I would add that CMB will experience the feeling of recognition which Iíll call Conscious Sound Recognition (CSR), which in this case is CSRB. So the NSB activity must feed into the Neural Sound Recognition (NSR) section of the PM. And IMB must monitor the NSRB of the PM and produce the CSRB feeling that CMB experiences. When CMB Recognizes and Understands what CMA is saying it can initiate a CVB response back to CMA using the same sequencing of events but in the opposite direction. Maybe the only reason PSp exists is so our CMs which are in CSp can talk to each other.
From the IMM and the sequence of events as described above it is easy to understand how damage to the NSR areas of the PM can let a CM experience the CS but not be able to Understand or Recognize the meaning of the CS. There could be another type of PM damage that might allow Recognition and Understanding without an actual CS experience. These arguments will also hold for the CL experience and the Recognition of CL objects in a CL Scene.
The current technology that the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) uses can only listen out to about a 1000 Light Year radius. Since the Milky Way Galaxy is 100000 Light Years across, the futility of this is obvious. With this technology we might be able to scan 0.04% of Our own Galaxy. The source signals attenuate too fast for any greater distances.
According to the last Hubble Telescope survey there are 100 Billion Galaxies in the Universe. Lets say there are 1 Million other Planets that have evolved intelligent life forms that have invented Radio transmission technologies. This means that there would be only one of these other Planets in every 100000 Galaxies. So the probability that SETI will find even one of these other Planets in our Galaxy is almost non existent. For SETI to have any possible chance of finding one of these other Planets there would have to be, assuming the Galaxy is a flat disk and using a simple ratio of areas, 2500 of them in our Galaxy. This means that there would have to be 2500 X 100 Billion, or 250 Trillion, of these Planets in the Universe for SETI to be able to find just one of them. Nobody thinks there are going to be that many of these Planets. The only hope for SETI is that these Planets are all transmitting super high power signals for the express purpose of having someone detect them. This is also unlikely. On the other hand maybe there really are 250 Trillion advanced Planets in the Universe. So I think SETI should continue it's search until we know more about the Universe.
Most advanced technology Planets probably realize the futility of a SETI search and eventually invent some other technology, not related to Radio transmissions, that will do the job. Maybe CSp should be studied to see if it can be used as a way to communicate across the Universe. Since we suppose that CSp is not anything like normal PSp it might not have the same limitations as PSp. The IMM supposes that our CMs exist in CSp, but we don't seem to be able to communicate between CMs locally on our own planet. So we should not expect that we will be able to use our CMs to communicate across the Universe. However, a Machine with the proper connections to CSp might be able to instantaneously communicate with any other such configured Machine in the Universe. This is completely hypothetical and we don't have any idea how to do this at this time. But just the suggestion of this might enable someone in the future to discover such a thing. This will obviously require more understanding and study.
The whole question is "If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it does it make a sound?". This classic Philosophical question was not directly asked but was first formulated by George Berkeley in his "A Treatise Concerning the Principles of Knowledge", and in 1883 the actual question appeared in the magazine "The Chautauquan".
From the point of view of The IMM the answer is clear and obvious. When the tree falls it makes pressure wave disturbances in the air and so there is Physical Sound. But if there is no one (not even an animal) there to hear the Physical Sound then there will be no Neural Sound or Conscious Sound. It is the Conscious Sound that is the only Sound we know. So the answer to the question is that there is no Sound.
Contrary to what ESP researchers say there does not yet seem to be any good evidence for that phenomenon. But we can hypothesize possible paths for ESP using the IMM as shown below.
Direct CM to CM ESP communication seems unlikely because it would eliminate the need for an IM or a PM. Direct PM to PM ESP communication using some PSp phenomenon that is yet to be discovered also seems unlikely. Direct CM to PM ESP communication seems unlikely since even the basic single person IMM shows the need for an IM in between. Direct IM to IM, IM to PM, or IM to CM, ESP communication must be left open as a possibility pending a better understanding of what the IM is.
Each CM has it's own Personal Light but maybe someday we will understand how to experience the Light of another CM. Also, maybe someday we will be able to affect the Light of another CM. Maybe this is how we will eventually communicate with Beings that have CMs on other Worlds across the Universe.
Since the CM and probably the IM are not PSp things they might be able to exist after death of the PM. We can say that the CM is shielded from the PM and PSp by the IM. The diagram below shows this situation with an X through the PM to indicate end of life.
If anything survives death it must be the IM and the CM. If the PM is gone and there is nothing to control the CL and the CS, not even Dream Neural Activity, then what will life, or at least the CM experience, be like after death? From this model it seems like it could be pretty weird. It might consist of uncontrolled visions of Light and Sound. Maybe without being a slave to a PM we will be released to do things with that CL and CS that we canít even begin to imagine. We will become the most basic thing that we are and that is pure Conscious experience. We will be Born into a whole new type of existence in CSp. We will not be what we were, but rather we will become what we were always meant to be. We will understand how we are the Light and how we are the Sound.
We should not forget that there are many other Conscious experiences not addressed in this paper that could also survive after the death of the PM. One of these is Conscious Pain, which is not a good thought. But if death is a Dream like reality then there probably cannot be Pain because there does not seem to be Pain in our Dreams when the PM is still alive.
While an IM is connected to itsí PM the Neural Activity of the PM probably overrides any communication attempt from another IM. Maybe after many years of practice as prescribed in Eastern Religions and Philosophies people can learn to quiet their PMs in order to receive communication from other IMs. Maybe some people can naturally do this. I think the record for this actually happening is sketchy at best. However, if two IMs have lost their PMs, it might be possible for the IMs to direct connect in some way that is prohibited when either PM is still alive.
Maybe all IMs are connected together to some Universal Mind like the New Age people like to talk about. Then maybe the IMs can communicate through the Universal Mind with each other. The IM might be able to plug into something else that we cannot even conceive of for purposes that we cannot know at this time. The important thing is that there might be something left after PM death that is not in PSp and could therefore survive after the PM is gone. In other words, even though we know there is no Hope for the PM, there may be Hope for the CM.
In terms of concepts from Philosophy the PM can be associated with the Easy Problem, the IM can be associated with the Explanatory Gap, and the CM can be associated with the Hard Problem. Although these three Philosophical concepts are known to be interrelated I believe putting them into the IMM nails down exactly what the interrelationship must be. Also, it is seen that the Explanatory Gap is actually the IM of the IMM. It is a ďreal thingĒ that we might be able to devise experiments for. One last concept from Philosophy is really rooted in Brain Physiology and that is the concept of the Neural Correlates of Consciousness. I say in this paper that CL is correlated with NL making the NL a Neural Correlate of Consciousness for the CL.
Stephen Knapp in The Secret Teachings of the Vedas says that according to Hindu scripture the diagram is as shown below. The scriptures say that the IM is the Super Soul which is God and the CM is the Soul. The PM is of course the Body.
Saying that the IM is God is not very helpful, because we don't know what God is. But at least they understood that there was a problem with the Body and Soul model hundreds of years ago. They actually postulated God as the IM back then. Also, most religions have some kind of Soul concept and we have to admit that the CM seems a lot like the Soul.
This model precludes us from saying that we are the CL and the CS because the CL and CS come from God which is not part of what we are. God (IM) is awkwardly spliced in between the Body (PM) aspect and the Soul (CM) aspect.
When the Body dies in this model the Soul is still plugged into God, which could be a comforting thought. At our current stage of understanding saying that God is the IM is as good an idea as anything. I still think that the IM is a Processing Gap that will be filled someday by some new discoveries and new scientific ways of looking at things.
1) We Know that the world including our PMs are made of chemicals. We also think that chemicals are not conscious. There is no reason to believe that when chemicals are arranged in a particular way that some kind of magic occurs to enable consciousness in those chemicals. A Neuron is a chemical electrical thing that in and of itself is not conscious, or alive. It is no more alive than a transistor is alive. Definitions of life as being self replicating are misleading. A neuron is part of the human machine. Can an LCD display be used by some IM or CM to produce a CL Scene of what is on the screen? What substance or material besides Neurons can be used to connect with an IM? Conversely, if the PM creates Consciousness through some PSp process then we should be able to intercept the CL Scene that the CM is experiencing and display it on a computer monitor. If Consciousness is not a PSp process then we can never hope to intercept it and display it. It only exists in CSp. See the Machine Consciousness Experiment for an example of how the above issues might be explored.
2) Does the shape of the brain say anything about the problem? The sentient part of the brain is in a thin layer of the outer surface of the brain (the gray matter). Connecting axons take up the bulk of the space inside the brain (the white matter). Since the sentient part of the PM is a surface on the exterior of the brain maybe it is easier to hook up to the CM. Of course there are some large folds to the cortex, but it is essentially a surface structure. One explanation from Brain Physiology is that it is a surface on the exterior of the Brain in order to promote cooling.
3) Let's think about Conscious Attention (CA). This is the aspect of Consciousness where we can pay attention to, for example, the CL Scene and not the CS. Even within the CL Scene it is possible to move CA to different parts of the Scene even while the eyes remain fixed to a certain location point in the field of view. Your CA can be switched from CL to CS and you can pay attention to individual CS streams such as a single conversation in a crowd. Since NL and NS are active in different parts of the PM does this mean that the IM or CM moves around to different physical locations in the PM? I can focus so much CA on the CS that I almost seem to not see the CL at moments. I can focus so much CA on the CL that I almost don't hear the CS at times. Both always seen to be present, however, to greater or lesser extents.
4) Our whole Conscious existence is controlled by our Brain Cortexes. With all the geometric distortions how do we ever see straight lines or round circles? The Cortex detects straight lines even though topographically they are not straight lines as mapped into V1. It may be that one of the purposes of the line detection is to provide the IM with a reference template of where the straight lines should be. So no matter how warped the V1 mapping is the IM can un-warp the Scene into the CL Scene with actual straight lines that we experience.
5) Maybe the IM inhabits and uses the PM from conception. The IM has decades to figure out how to use the PM. It actually figures it out pretty good after a few years. The IM grows up with a particular PM. First there is only one cell, then there are two, then three, and four, and so on. Could an IM attach to a fully formed PM and just start using it? Or does an IM need to grow as the PM grows in order to properly use it? There is probably a developmental aspect involved in PM, IM, and CM connections. In any case the CM seems to think it is whatever the IM is attached to. The act of growing from a single cell might be absolutely necessary for an IM and CM to exist. The IM might eventually be in contact with every cell in the PM. Maybe the only way the IM can be in control of trillions of Neurons is if as the PM slowly develops the IM learns how to use each cell. It is thought that it is possible that recognition of objects and faces comes down to one cell firing. The IM must know what that particular cell means when it fires in order to send a feeling of Recognition to the CM.
6) If a person is blind from birth and they never experience CL then what does this tell us!? If we are the CL then you would expect a blind man to still experience CL, but probably uncontrolled CL thatís not correlated with any PL. But this is basically a developmental problem where if particular Neurons are not being stimulated or can not be stimulated then the IM connection from the PM to the CM might never develop for these Neurons. So no CL will ever be experienced. However, it is known that sighted people can experience PS as CL and PL as CS. This can happen with certain drugs and some people just naturally have these sensory cross connections. Maybe blind from birth people incorporate light into their CS perceptions. They would never know that they are experiencing CL because it would be correlated with PS events.
7) People make the statement that all matter has consciousness. I doubt it. Even something as alive as my thumb does not have consciousness. Only the PM seems to have it. There is no ability to feel with a thumb or move that thumb if the Nerves to it are cut. If Consciousness was a pervasive thing that existed throughout the whole Body then I should still feel in that thumb because part of my Consciousness would be local to that thumb. Instead what we experience is that the Conscious feeling for that thumb depends on PM Activity for the thumb. If the signals don't get to the PM there is no feeling. So it would seem that conscious feeling for that thumb is in the PM and not in the thumb itself.
8) There are much faster things and slower things than our Consciousness. The CM experience of the world is as fast as the PM will allow. We can't perceive a speeding bullet because it is faster than the PM can operate. Some people will argue that this means Consciousness is a PM limited phenomena. This does not mean that the CM itself is limited but just that when the CM is correlating with a PM it is limited to what the PM can do. The CM might be capable of much more and since I am suggesting that the CM is not even in PSp but in CSp we donít know what the limits really are.
9) Hallucinations are interesting and maybe revealing of how Visual Consciousness works. A coworker of mine (HK) once told a story about having Hallucinations after taking a particular heart medicine. He said that he saw a man sitting on the floor in the doorway to his bedroom. He said he knew Hallucinations were possible with this medicine and he knew the man was not really there but he just had to step up and over him because it was so real. According to HK the Hallucinated man was perfectly integrated into the CL Scene. The Hallucinated man was not transparent but opaquely blocked out the background CL Scene as if it was really there. What does this say about our CL Scene construction mechanism? The visual scene is not just thrown up in front of us all at the same time but is probably constructed object by object to form the CL Scene of overlapping objects that we experience. The important thing to realize is that there must be some process or mechanism that constructs the CL Scene by putting objects in one at a time. This happens very fast and we never seem to see an object pop in or pop out. Of course this same mechanism is putting together a CL Scene for us all the time when we dream. It must be the IM and CM that does this.
10) Our whole sense of Reality comes from our PMs, and not from the outside world, when Dreaming. The CM seems very susceptible to believing alternate Realities without questions when certain Reality Check Points in the PM are turned off. Weird scenes and situations don't seem unusual. Without a PM a CM seems pretty dumb when it comes to logical thinking. Maybe the purpose of sleep is to let the CM detach for a while. Sleep is to let the IM and CM rest (as well as the PM). Maybe the CM needs to get away from the fixed Reality of the PM. Thatís what dreams are for. That's why we don't remember most of our Dreams. Dreams are for the CM not the PM.
It all began a number of years ago when I decided it might be fun to understand how Consciousness occurs in the Brain. I decided that Conscious sensory perception, specifically Light and Sound, were the things I would study. I can see Light and I can hear Sound.
I spent years reading what the Philosophers had to say about Consciousness, only to find that they seem to have hit a pretty hard brick wall on the issue. So I began studying Brain Physiology, Eye Physiology, and Ear Physiology for explanations. The thinking was that if I could understand more and more how the physical Brain, Eye and Ear actually worked then the Conscious perception of Light and Sound would become obvious. That was naive. The Brain Physiologists have become pretty good at finding the Neural Correlates of Consciousness but they have also hit a brick wall beyond that.
If we are going to break through that brick wall then I think it is essential for Philosophers and especially Scientists to let go of the thought that the CM has to be found in the PM or that it is just an illusion. The IM is a placeholder in a Framework for exploring Consciousness. I hope that this IM Framework perspective helps to drive a conceptual wedge between the PM and the CM that serves to emphasize the reality of the separation between them. I also hope that with this Framework, some future Mind will be able to discover the key to Consciousness that leads to a whole new Science of Conscious Mind and ultimately to Artificial Consciousness in Machines. The search for the Inter Mind is on! What really is that CL and that CS that we have always seen and always heard?
Steven J. Klinko
Please email comments:
Last Updated: 11/05/2017